Prospective Expedition Owner...What am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with this more. Then again I'm 51 and don't care about the "cool" factor. If I didn't have to tow 6,000lb trailer a few times a year, I would be driving a Toyota Sienna AWD and put the $25K saved toward the kids college fund. If your wife is like all of my friends, the minivan is a no-go because they don't want to be seen in one. Being a mother is somehow frowned upon. That's a great deal of money to spend on image but it's your decision and your money. Good luck.

I also forgot to ask how long are you going to keep it. Just a lease or more serious like 10 years, 150,000 miles? If for the long term, I would purchase a Ford Factory warranty just for peace of mind. You can get them online and are good at any dealership.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtW766fN4gIVh5WzCh0nBAv0EAAYASAAEgJ3cfD_BwE

Also do consider used as Large SUVS do drop in value quite fast on the used market except of course the Sequoia.

I happen to own both a Toyota Sienna AWD and the Expedition. Sienna wins on the interior packaging, ride quality, fuel mileage, and ease of use for the DVD player. Expedition wins on quietness, modern driver aids (Sienna is a 2011), and power/performance. We don't do much towing, but a big portion of the reason we purchased the Expedition is due to crash safety. The Expedition would cream the Sienna in a crash, and I'm willing to put safety ahead of mileage, etc. When the Sienna gets replaced, it will likely be with an F150 or another Expedition. Lots of big vehicles on the road these days, so trying to even the odds.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
New dad here as well and we upgraded my wife's 2011 Escape to a 2018 Expedition MAX. Agreed, the Toyota interiors are so outdated and being 6'4" I didn't like the Tahoe/Yukon center console that curves inward to the dash. I found that the XLT FX4 was the best bang for our buck I could find. Leather h/c seats, safety upgrades, and 4x4 with eLSD 3.73. Other than the LED headlights and CCD, you are not missing much... even compared to Platinums/Navigators that dealers have listed at $80K+ and $90K+. That being said, I got $7500 off MSRP on the Expy and when I bought my 2013 F150 new in January of 2014 I got $12,500 off. Both times I walked in (different dealerships) and said this is what I am willing to pay for that vehicle. Don't let them try to sell you a lesser vehicle at that price and WALK out the door to the next Ford dealership if they do. It is certainly worth being patient and finding what you really like, and more importantly what you can afford! Congrats on the new kiddo and good luck!

PS We fill up our MAX with our son and our dog on an overnight trip. Third row gets folded flat for the travel crate and car seat is on the middle bench seat. The amount of stuff a 10 pound human needs is mind boggling.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never thought I would spend $70K on a FORD, but that's the going rate for a full-size SUV these days. Just crazy. Thanks in advance!

If you are OK with cloth interior, no moon roof, no navigation - a simple Expedition can be had in the mid $40's without much negotiation effort. Brand new.

Ask your dealer about an Expedition XL. (XL being the trim package, not SUV length) You won't find it on a Ford brochure or on the Ford website. Its a step down from the nearly identical XLT. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to note the differences.

It will have power windows, locks, keyless entry, push button start, power drivers seat, rear view camera. Front & rear air, bluetooth, alloy wheels, steps, tilt and cruise, full-size spare, power mirrors, fog lights, rear privacy glass, etc. Full carpeting.

If leather is a must-have, aftermarket is far superior, very customizable, and will set you back $1K on 2 rows.

Here is an example. Sticker price is $50K. I wouldn't be embarrassed owning it.
https://www.dtfords.com/new/Ford/20...30a0e0ae777431add6d9d7b7e.htm?searchDepth=1:6

You'll have $25K saved, perfect for that boat you don't need.

Last edited:

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A couple of people mentioned the clicking mirror problem. Ford can reprogram the mirror modules to fix that, so it's a non-issue (SSM 47835).

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s gonna be tough to get a good answer on this because everyone’s needs are different. We had outgrown my vehicle with the birth of our second child (actually we outgrew it with our first but we are either ****** or frugal) and ordered the 18 Navigator. The cost wasn’t an issue and our lifestyle ruled out minivan, that and seeing as I’m the primary driver I also got a vote. Long story short, if the cost isn’t an issue and you don’t mind the potential for destruction from a baby Id take the suv over minivan just based on comfort, tech, and room. Especially if you enjoy any type of camping or if you tow.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am, and always be, a non-minivan guy. I multi purpose my vehicles and a minivan is a single use/people hauler. Buy a utility trailer for $2k and your SUV miraculously fills in for a very capable truck. Get one with decent MPGs (like the 3.5l EcoBoost) and it can fill in as a mildly thirsty but extremely comfortable and safe commuter if I don't want to take the paid off second car. Simply adding nice leather and amenities makes it a nice "date night" vehicle as well.
My family's second vehicle is an 15yr old, paid off Cadillac sedan, so run around's and commutes (single person errands or trips) don't rack up miles on the Expi.
It truly is how your individual family views vehicles and what your budget is.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many kids do you anticipate potentially having? How long do you anticipate keeping the new vehicle? Do you plan to tow anything with it?

If planning 2 or fewer kids OR planning to keep this vehicle 6 years or less, I’d definitely suggest a larger mid-size SUV like the VW Atlas, Honda Pilot, or Subaru Ascent as alternatives to check out.

We had a 2011 Honda Pilot for 8.5 years. We purchased it when my firstborn had just turned 1 (upgraded from a 2008 Honda CR-V) and traded it in back in December for our 2018 Expedition MAX. We now have 3 kids (ages 10, 7, 4). We often have extra kids/adults with us plus gear and although the Pilot worked great for daily driving with the 3 kids, adding extra people plus extra stuff was impossible. We could do people or stuff but not both together.

If you are planning 3 or more kids and want the new vehicle to last 7+ years before getting something new OR you plan to tow with it, the Expedition would be a great choice.

I’d still highly suggest at least test driving the VW Atlas and Honda Pilot. The Atlas is surprisingly roomy even with rear-facing car seats in it and has more room behind the 3rd row than nearly every other crossover/unibody SUV. The added safety and convenience features are awesome and you’ll save an easy $20K over a comparably trimmed Expedition.

OP
OP
F

Ford_Prospect1128

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the feedback. We are a pretty outdoorsy family and do like to camp. We sold my wife's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 months ago to Carmax when it started having all kinds of issues. They gave us $2k over KBB. (Sorry to whoever bought that thing). That being said, we definitely need a replacement SUV. I appreciate the input on the VW Atlas and Pilot (both nice vehicles), but you have not met my wife. A two-day trip and we damn near have to attach a Uhaul trailer for her bags so once the kid comes the amount of bags/cargo will grow exponentially. The Expedition seems like the best option for space, camping, lake trips, etc. If I go the Expedition route I really like the Limited with the 302A package. I'd be curious to see what people are paying out the door for these things.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Minivan resale value is junk after a few years. The Expo will still be worth something.....
Just like 1/2 ton trucks, they're dime a dozen after a few years but the same 3/4 ton is worth double!

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
..... If I go the Expedition route I really like the Limited with the 302A package. I'd be curious to see what people are paying out the door for these things.
I didn't go with a limited, but on a Platinum 4wd with HD tow pkg, Ruby Red add, and 2nd row captain's seats, I got a great deal. MSRP sticker was $80,530. I paid $70,256 + TTL after rebates and incentives.

Last edited: