Purchase help needed! 4x4 vs 4x2 ... and platinum vs Limited 302a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always buy the highest trim level available and all the options for a daily driver. I see a lot of people (and I was one myself) that end up wanting options/features available on a higher trim level after the fact and try to add them, only to find the cost doesn’t make sense. So I would rather buy a gently used fully optioned vehicle as opposed to a “lesser” new one if I had to go one way or the other. We were looking Navigator L Reserve but ended up with a Expedition Max Platinum due to a variety of factors. Primarily the fact we couldn’t find a Navigator anywhere.

4x4 vs 4x2 down there though is a tough one. I live in West Michigan so all our vehicles are AWD. I got by with FWD cars for a loooooong time, and a 2WD pickup. If you ever want to launch a boat you’ll be needing 4x4 depending on the situation.

I was also looking at the Navigator Reserve L as it’s a great looking interior and those seats are insane but I feel as if I’m already spending enough and don’t quite see the value in going Navigator vs Platinum for a used car as they seem to be at least $10k more used, any my kids will trash the car long term anyway haha. I think you made a great choice.

I think 4wd is a done deal for me now and I agree on getting loaded to avoid buyer remorse. The 302a or Special Edition which pretty much check all the boxes for me for a new 2020 as I don’t quite want to spend more for a new Platinum. As for used though, it’s still Platinum or nothing haha.

I have a long standing issue with used cars though, I like new new new so buying used is a tough pill for me to swallow, even if I’m getting a better trim level. Plus, with Ford offering 0% APR for 60-72 months right now on new and my brother in law is a GM at a dealer group that has Ford so fingers crossed on a great deal!

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went with the expy because the extra 25-27k just didn’t seem to get that much better stuff. Better yes. Worth that much more? Wasn’t for us. Same sort of decision on limited vs platinum. Better yes. Worth it, not so much. And I didn’t like the interior having black dash with the light color seats. Just doesn’t look right to me and I would literally be seeing that all the time. I like the base grill better too, the Bentley looking deal is great on a Chrysler 300 though. So was easy call to save the few grand on that.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went with the expy because the extra 25-27k just didn’t seem to get that much better stuff. Better yes. Worth that much more? Wasn’t for us. Same sort of decision on limited vs platinum. Better yes. Worth it, not so much. And I didn’t like the interior having black dash with the light color seats. Just doesn’t look right to me and I would literally be seeing that all the time. I like the base grill better too, the Bentley looking deal is great on a Chrysler 300 though. So was easy call to save the few grand on that.

I’m discovering my choice for used Platinum vs used Limited 302a/special edition is getting easier as I’ve notice inventory is next to nil for Max Platinums used with low mileage (looking for under 30k). I have to search 500 miles out and even then it only returns 6ish cars of which 1 checks the color boxes but it’s way too expensive. I can get a new 302a for the same price pretty much and with 0%apr so really I’d be in the hole with the used Platinum.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah used cars have been outta sight for years. It used to be a boost to get something lightly used. Savings just aren’t there like they used to be. Seems like the advice to save on used is so ingrained that it has caused people to miss the big picture.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah used cars have been outta sight for years. It used to be a boost to get something lightly used. Savings just aren’t there like they used to be. Seems like the advice to save on used is so ingrained that it has caused people to miss the big picture.

yes and with manufactures offering massive incentives for new I feel like the sucker is the guy buying a lightly used 1-2 year old car that he likely could have gotten for nearly the same price new!

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I grew up in Minn-e-Snow-ta and never owned a 4WD until I was in my 40's. so yes, you can get around without it. But ... it was a game changer. Now that I live in the Dakotas, I will never be without a 4WD. You may only need it once in a blue moon, but sometimes when you need it, you NEED it.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I grew up in Minn-e-Snow-ta and never owned a 4WD until I was in my 40's. so yes, you can get around without it. But ... it was a game changer. Now that I live in the Dakotas, I will never be without a 4WD. You may only need it once in a blue moon, but sometimes when you need it, you NEED it.

4wd is a done deal as of now. If anyone has thoughts on how to grab a low mileage 2018 or 2019 Platinum cheaper than the crazy high prices I see on Cargurus and similar sites I’m all ears!

Never bought a used car before but I’d like to add an extended warranty either way.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in TX. I got 4WD because I wanted it for pulling a boat out of the water. Could I manage without it? yes. I like the steady security of having it in 4WD auto when pulling the boat out. I have slid a little driving in 2WD in the rain. I generally switch to 4WD auto in the rain.

I agree, I think the 3.73 axle is a better match. It feels better. I also think it reduces the frequency of transmission downshifting. I do not think it will have much effect on fuel economy (if it does, a small amount on the highway).

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in TX. I got 4WD because I wanted it for pulling a boat out of the water. Could I manage without it? yes. I like the steady security of having it in 4WD auto when pulling the boat out. I have slid a little driving in 2WD in the rain. I generally switch to 4WD auto in the rain.

I agree, I think the 3.73 axle is a better match. It feels better. I also think it reduces the frequency of transmission downshifting. I do not think it will have much effect on fuel economy (if it does, a small amount on the highway).

Thanks for the info. The “Special Edition” seems like a great buy with the 3.73. I just like the lighter colored leather and it doesn’t seem to offer that in Special Edition unless I’m mistaken.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know for sure about the 20's or upcoming 21's, but in '19 you could order the lighter interior leather in a 301A with Special Edition pkg. it just didn't look good to me so I went with black. Might also explain why there are so many with Black interiors