Question for any Ford mechanics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjgi5150

Reaction score
Hi all,

Re: Wifes 2004 Expedition 4x4

I have a question for any FoMoCo mechanics here. About 6 months ago I had the rear end changed under a TSB for the whining rear end gears (3.73 L/S, only 17,000 miles at the time). The paperwork given to me by my local dealer showed a full ring and pinion set, all seals, fluid, bearings, etc. They had the new parts installed in one afternoon, and I picked it up the next day. It seems ok, and the whine is difinately gone....but......

Today I had to put on new brakes/rotors front and rear (only 25,020 miles and the front rotors were wasted). I went with NAPA ultra premium rotors, and their premium 'Ceramix' pads. All seems well with the new brakes, which was an experience unlike I've ever had on a simple disc brake change (had to completely destroy the L/F rotor to get it off, and nearly destroyed the R/F/....very stupid design). But while under the rear end, I noticed that the large outer nuts that hold on the axles appeared to never have been removed (still a lot of rust on the threads and no fresh marks on the bolt from any sockets). I looked under at the rear end, and the cover did not appear as though it had been removed either. It still had the same type grey silicon gasket goop as was there stock, and it did not appear to be only 6 months "new". It appeared to me that the axles would have had to come out to change the R&P, as they said they did.

Does anyone know if there is some way the axles will come out so a R&P could be changed W/O removing the outer axle nuts? Also, is there some way they could have quieted the howling rear end and NOT changed it out with new parts. IIRC the TSB said Ford had a 'bad batch' of gears on many 3.73 R&P's, due to poor quality metal.

TIA for any assistance,

JJ

C_2g

Reaction score
IMO if the rear axles are installed the same way as they traditionally were....they are held in with "C" clips. All the mechanic would have to do is remove the wheels and the rear end cover and take the "C" clips off and pull the axles out a couple of inches. Of course the drive shaft, pinion yoke and nut would have to be removed as well. But no they should not have to remove the nuts on the end of the axles, I think.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you could simply remove the bolt that holds the rear shackle to the strut and get the axle out of the pumpkin.

No c clips on this setup.

Matt R