Questions to experts expedition 1998 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahmoosragab

Reaction score
Please I want to ask you some questions expedition 1998 5.4
where the car is not present we have no experts best of you in the desert, and SUVs.
1 - about SUVs (A4WD) can i *leave a car always on this position or leaving it on 2H position?
2 - can i A4WD run at high speeds or not?
3 - What is cause flash A4WD when they leave work a long time while driving?
4 - What is the biggest tire size can i mounted without make adjustments knowing that original size 17/70/265 I learned that one of the members has installed 17/65/285 the latest Model please utilize full size appropriate?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many questions you will ask are answered in the Owners Manual and Supplements available for download in the links in my signature.

As for the list and "not making adjustments" I take this to mean STOCK and not lifted. So the question is "What is the largest tire size and wheel for a stock 1998 model". For this I would re direct you to the SEARCH feature as I'm sure this has been answered before in many threads.

You are obviously opposite much of the forum in your time zone, so please be patient with looking for replies. And finally WELCOME to the forum!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For question #3:

Symptom Chart

The A4WD Indicator Flashes When the A4WD Mode Is Selected:

A4WD clutch relay/circuit.
Hall effect speed sensors/circuits.
Transfer case electric clutch.
4WABS module/circuit.
GEM.

PINPOINT TEST A: A4WD INDICATOR FLASHES WHEN THE A4WD MODE IS SELECTED
A1 CHECK THE IGNITION STATES — MONITOR THE PID IGN_GEM
A2 RETRIEVE THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
A3 CHECK THE 4WABS MODULE INPUT; 4WABS MODULE CONNECTED — MONITOR THE PID PWR_RLY
A4 CHECK THE 4WABS MODULE INPUT; 4WABS MODULE DISCONNECTED — MONITOR THE PID PWR_RLY
A5 CHECK CIRCUIT 239 (W/O) FOR SHORT TO POWER
A6 CHECK HALL EFFECT POWER CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND — MONITOR THE PID HALLPWR
A7 CHECK THE HALL EFFECT CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND — TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY C201 DISCONNECTED
A8 CHECK FRONT AND REAR HALL EFFECT SENSORS
A9 CHECK CIRCUIT 774 (LG) FOR SHORT TO GROUND

and it continues up to A32. You'll need a good scanner and the Ford service manual to troubleshoot this.

Also this should be moved......

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can leave it on A4WD, but I notice a slight decrease in fuel economy due to running the front running gears, it can be run at any speed as well because it is not supposed to power the front wheels unless it detects the rear wheels slipping. If it is flashing I would think that means that it is either shifting itself into 4x4 high, which mine does from time to time when in deep snow (4x4 high light should illuminate in place of a4wd), or it is detecting a problem and is therefore shutting the a4wd off. I have 16" rims, but I am fairly sure you can get 285/70/R17 size tires on there without issue.

OP
OP
A

ahmoosragab

Reaction score
Thanks for all the valuable information and interest of the people of experience