Quick towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have a 04 5.4 4x4 with the HD towing package. I am wanting to tow my 99 mustang and an enclosed trailer to Myrtle Beach for mustang week next year. Towing isn't my concern, my concern is black mountain. I know it is a pretty unforgiving hill, I just want to make sure that everything is squared away. I will have trailer brakes and WD hitch obviously. I know the car is around 3500 lbs, I'm not sure about the weight or length of the trailer though. I will have a custom towing tune by then, but I'm concerned about the transmission and the temp of it. I'm at 118k miles. Any advice would be appreciated!

Goats

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow cap of the 5.4 is pretty good and I wouldn't worry about it. If you chugging up hill and the truck keeps going in and out of OD,I would keep it out of OD. It's the shifting in and out that heats up the tranny fluid. The higher RPM help cool the tranny fluid also.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shouldn't I have OD off the whole way or just in hilly areas?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A good programmer will make those shifts more snappy. Snappy shifts mean less slipping. Less slipping means a cooler trans. A cooler trans lives a longer life.

Those soccer mom super smooth shifts that Ford programmed in to the trans are a problem for anyone who tows.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
people with this notion of towing tunes race tunes economy tune just incredible how this makes me laugh.

if you're worried about towing that weight up the hill/mountain I would suggest to take OD off first. and yes a trans tune by a ford tuner will alter the shift timing to make it seem the trans is slipping less although the trans will still slip a little bit. its there it will happen.
your trailer might be in at 1.400 pounds so adds the mustang and the trailer you are still fine with that weight behind the 5.4. a hell of a lot better than the ecoboost that's for sure.
don't worry about it.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the ease-of-mind. I just want to get everything squared away. I'll definitely have OD off. It'll be next year before I go unfortunately.

Chris_H

Reaction score
Our 2009 Limited doesn't have an OD on/off. There is a tow/haul button, but I don't believe it locks out OD. And after rereading the 1st post, I see this thread is about 2004...

Last edited:

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
Where can I buy this 1900 lb enclosed car trailer you speak of? That is really light. My 14ft weighs 2150. And the 20 footer is like 2850.+ extras. Either way if you know of an enclosed hauler that light I want it.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did some googling and from what I've found they are about 2500 or so. I think next month I'm going to do a dry run and find a set of scales to make sure everything is kosher.