Radiator Replacement Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99 EB 5.4...supposedly with the tow package. The OEM radiator appears to be a "2 core" version. To me that makes no sense in a vehicle supposedly to be used for towing. Regardless, I need to replace it. Should I go with a larger, single core or double core unit as opposed to a 3,4,5 row unit ? I've always been taught the more rows the better, but the single & 2 core units appear to have the same core size as the 3,4, & 5 core units. So that tells me, it m ay have more cores, but they are considerably smaller than the 1 & 2 core units. So, I'm not sure which way I should go. When I bought it 10 yrs are, it had a 3 core unit, but it had overheating issues. It was replaced by a Ford dealer with the 2 core unit, and it's worked fairly well until the plastic tank has started to leak. Anyway, I'm confused which way I need to go with this, since I will routinely be pulling loads up to about 6-7,000 lbs.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With advances in engineering, radiators focus more now on surface area than core depth. Proper fan, shroud, and air dams will definitely help also. External transmission and oil coolers help as well.
As you add core depth, the downstream rows only get progressively hotter air coming across them, losing efficiency with each additional core.
A quick look on rock auto shows that 2-core should work for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. My engine was just replace with a new 5.4 reman. It's having little "Mickey Mouse" issues with it that are getting tweaked. The one that bothers me though, it runs 200-205+ F at highway speeds, on a 85-90 degree day. My old engine ran 193-200 all day.....rarely over 200 unless pulling something. I'm scared to put my 5,000 lbs behind it. God only knows what temp it'll hit. I do know that the dash gauge will start moving at about 220, and at 260, the gauge is pegged, the CEL is on, a nd something is flashing the temp overload. SO......What the hell is a normal operating temp for this thing >