Radio reset...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello.

I went over the owners manual and I could not find anything.

My radios sync voice is cutting out and does not understand what i say. it was working just fine until a week ago. i cannot hook up my phone etc.

How do i reset it to see if it work?

2013 expedition EL 4x4

thx

OP
OP
legendary70

legendary70

Reaction score
what after market display would yall recommend with NAV and without. something reasonable. thx

OP
OP
legendary70

legendary70

Reaction score
nice stereo. just want to triple check.

will it fit my 2013 expy without any additional equipment needed?

i am pretty sure it is NAV as well?

never heard of xtron....how is this brand?

thx

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would avoid "no name" brands when it comes to stereos... especially if you live anywhere where it can get below freezing.

Out where I live, all the eBay and Amazon "Chi-com brand specials" tend to crap out when winter hits... the displays just die after 6-8 months. There are plenty of pissed off reviewers afterwards, lol.

I'd stick to stuff like Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, etc... stuff that can be trusted. I've had an Alpine media deck in my old truck for 7 years or so and it never had an issue, regardless of how hot or cold it is outside. Others I know who wanted to "save a bit" by going with a no-name brand ended up spending twice in the end.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d agree with 762, the cheaper Chinese brands don’t generally last. I’d buy a Pioneer system or the like. Some cheapies are ok just be sure to research them.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 'net is your friend. Do a search like this "Problems with Gookinheaim(insert brand name here) car stereo's"

Always discount any result which uses your original phrase, they are simply mirror sites

I'm not so sure that your radio is bad though just b/c the Sync voice is breaking up. Could be a bad speaker connection.....doesn't the sync voice come out of a single speaker?

jeff

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go after market I recommend Crutchfield for recommendations.
I went with Kenwood on my 2007. Great all around system.
IMG-0258.jpg

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 2 schools of thought on this. Without a doubt your typical aftermarket units will last you longer.
Kenwood and Alpine have been my choice for the last 20 years.
But you are extremely limited in their capabilities compared to these cheap Android units.
So if you want to stick a unit in and be done for 6+ years and have all the technology fall behind then spend the $600+ on the name brand units and yes buy from Crutchfield.

If you are good with swapping out every 2 years maybe more and getting better tech when you do. Spend $200 or so on one of the Android units.

Head units are like cellphones for me anymore.
I don’t plan on keeping them more than 2 years anymore to keep up with the changing tech.
At this point I suggest getting the octacore with 4gb and 64 gb unit.

I wish Ford would not have gone to all the integrated garbage in 2015.
I would so much rather have a simple swap out double din unit like you.
Instead I am stuck with the Tesla style which does not bother me but right now the only option is a 2gb/32gb unit for $650 and not ready to shell that out for those specs.

The Android units wire up just like any aftermarket unit you just need the correct aftermarket wiring harness.

My $90 test unit is still going strong bought it in February and is used in my shop and not a vehicle.

I just bought this unit for my Z71 and am waiting upon its arrival.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163652820764

I am stuck with a single din unit as I don’t feel like hacking up the internal metal dash frame to fit a double din.
Single din options are a bit limited So I am also stuck with 2gb and 32gb for this unit but this is just my backup truck and won’t be utilizing many memory heavy apps so the specs will suffice.
Plus I got it on sale for $175

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That isn't a bad way of comparing Brand name to CCI's(Cheap Chinese imitation) Black.....

They do incorporate many more features-per-dollar, but QC can be sketchy at best.

Case in point;

Batteries.....I bought CCI's & Ladda by Ikea

The Ikea are rated at 2450 while the CCI's are "rated" at 3,300

Ladda's test perfect while CCI's ALL tested at less than 10% of their advertised rating.

Ladda's cost roughly 2 bucks a pop while the CCIs were 69 cents each.

Good luck!!

jeff

LADDA.jpg

20191017_012144_resized.jpg