Upgrading OEM Sync radio unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addas

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently Ive wanted to upgrade my 2013 expedition XLT radio unit, I have the basic no screen or backup camera and I wanted to install one.

When I first bought the car (in 2013) a friend of mine gifted me a unit with a backup camera, but, when I installed it, the Sync (the handsfree system) stopped working.

My question, is there anyway I can install a aftermarket radio unit (with backup camera and a screen) but keep all OEM functions (Sync, and steering wheel buttons)

Thank you

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you need something like this to keep SWC and interface with the factory harness.

Check out Crutchfield, find the aftermarket radio you have if they list it, and buy the kit. It will give you everything you need. Will typically be $250ish for everything.

Orlando Gotay

Reaction score
I just installed an aftermarket Android Unit. It specifically said if fit for the 2007-2014 Expedition (manual AC control). I had long wanted to upgrade the OEM (and faded) green screen where I could no longer even see station frequency. But I wanted to ensure preserving steering wheel controls.

This setup came with a CAN-Bus. It can have a backup camera (extra option). Setup was fairly straightforward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 4.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 4.41.48 PM.png
    331.1 KB · Views: 11

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just installed an aftermarket Android Unit. It specifically said if fit for the 2007-2014 Expedition (manual AC control). I had long wanted to upgrade the OEM (and faded) green screen where I could no longer even see station frequency. But I wanted to ensure preserving steering wheel controls.

This setup came with a CAN-Bus. It can have a backup camera (extra option). Setup was fairly straightforward.
So SWC works fully? If so, that is a GREAT deal!

pastorjeep

Reaction score
I had the basically the same question for a 2011 XLT. Mine has the backup camera in the rearview mirror. The radio is completely dead. I want to put a factory touch screen in it. What is required to swap over?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the basically the same question for a 2011 XLT. Mine has the backup camera in the rearview mirror. The radio is completely dead. I want to put a factory touch screen in it. What is required to swap over?
Already answered above...Check out a site like Crutchfield, and get exactly what they say, including a build sheet that will help you with the install. Or roll the device with one of the Android based Amazon/AliExpress/Ebay units. I know some have had good luck with the Phoenix brand too, https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/. Do your homework.

Personally, if you are planning on keeping it a while, go the Crutchfield path, because support is awesome.

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Thank Loki, I had the same question that was originally asked but not answered. Is a touch screen radio from another ford (junkyard) able to swap directly over to my expy with standard radio/cd player? Do I just take the whole harness from the jy radio?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank Loki, I had the same question that was originally asked but not answered. Is a touch screen radio from another ford (junkyard) able to swap directly over to my expy with standard radio/cd player? Do I just take the whole harness from the jy radio?
Honestly, I don't know enough about the earlier Gen 3's to answer that question blindly. Are you pulling out of the same year. If you are talking a "Sync" branded touch screen going in to a non Sync branded audio system, I know that won't work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett