Random Electrical Issues following Car Wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckDFW

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition EL with >100K miles. It has no issues until yesterday. I took it to the car wash yesterday where they washed exterior (automated machine) and detailed the interior (shampooed carpets, cleaned leather, etc.).

When I left the car wash the following symtoms were observed:

1. Turn signals non-functional.
2. Tire Pressure Monitoring system complains of a fault. Indicator light on instrument panel is illuminated.
3. Parking brake indicator on instrument panel stays illuminated.
4. Electric liftgate is non-functional.
5. AC not working (I am guessing the compressor clutch is not energized).
6. With key removed and all doors closed, instrument panel illumination remained on for hours, maybe all night. Fortunately, battery was not drained this morning.

I did quick visual inspection of fuse boxes in passenger compartment and under hood. No obvious blown fuses. I would have to remove each fuse individually to see if any are blown. I checked owner's manual and I don't see a single circuit that would cause all these issues. There was no moisture around the fuse boxes. Under the hood was dusty and bone dry.

I Googled a bit and discovered older expeds have issue of GEM box getting wet and causing semi-random failures. I am wondering if 2007 model has analogous GEM box or similar that can fail due to car wash or carpet shampooing. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it sounds like a gem module problem, disconect the battery take out the module dry it out and reinstall it and see if the problems go away. if not the water may have shorted it out.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is in the same place as the 1st gens, it is mounted behind the fuse box underneath the dash. However having never had to locate it in a later model expy, I could be wrong.

phatbob

Reaction score
2005 Expedition GEM?

I am having the Ford "Water fall issue" where my door locks dont work and I am getting the door sensor data issue as well as tire pressure monitor problems. It has been intermittent but now fully not working. I took my fuse block out and checked all fuses and cleaned everything. I did not see any signs of water damage. I do not see a Gem module and I am being told by a gem re seller that the 2005 does not have a gem but it is integrated into the fuse block. Is this true? I see another black box up behind the glove box that supposedly is the security / door lock computer. Can anyone shed some light on this?

murmaider2

Reaction score
I had these issues with my '01 Expedition. This is a fault from the factory and has not been addressed or recalled by Ford. The silicone/adhesive they used to glue the windshield in the factory dries out and shrinks if the car spends prolonged periods in the sun overtime. The only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to go to a auto-glass shop and have your windshield removed and reglued with a good adhesive. I had to do this (and it cost me 300 bucks). After doing that you will have to find a new GEM module (they cost anywhere between 80-150 bucks used, 300+ new) and have it replaced. The GEM module is located underneath the dashboard behind the fusebox. The fusebox might also have to be replaced as it might have also been corroded.