rear coil spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terryscruze

Reaction score
I'm new to the expedition world. My driver Sid coil springs looks like this. Now if I replace the spring, insulator, and shocks, will it fix my problem or am I looking at something else to fix?

Attachments

• 20140411_105807.jpg
    20140411_105807.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 20140411_105813.jpg
    20140411_105813.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 270

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Looks like someone did a hack job of an air bag to coil spring conversion.
I'm pretty sure that they don't tell you to weld that spring to the perch like that.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd grind that weld off and get the spring out, looks like the wrong one, too wide? Then I'd get the correct spring with replacement isolators and put them in.

OP
OP
T

terryscruze

Reaction score
Now my question is. Does the insulator go on the axle. Or on top where the frame is?

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On top iirc, the spacer for my lift went on the bottom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow....who welded that :mfr_omg:? the heat alone ruins spring. you gotta cut that off without torching it if possibble. torch spring then do some grinding :mfr_omg:....how long you had truck? if this is 1st time seeing this on your truck....i would say it was done cause they knew they were gonna sell. amazing they heated coil....:mfr_omg:

OP
OP
T

terryscruze

Reaction score
Just bought it a month ago. And where the spring sits on the axle. Looks like a "mount".. it bolts on there by two bolts.. so I am looking to replace it either way... just asking while working on the rear suspension. If there is anything else I should replace.. I'm going to do the springs..struts... insulator..and mount if possible.. might have to go to the junk yard to get it..the mounts anyway. All other components will be new.

Last edited:

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea..i saw that,was going to ask you is plate comes off.look in yards. they might have one stripped/apart expedition and itll be easy to reach. i go to my friends yard alot,if trucks in one piece....most places wont bother unless they let you do it...get new if you can. or buy springs as well from yard,then theyll prob take plates off!