Rear hub replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHolden

Reaction score
Hey all you experts.

This weekend I’ll be replacing the rear hubs on my 2007. Is this a easy job? Any hints or tips?

What size in the hub nut, I have heard it’s 36mm?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On mine I just did both rears within the last few weeks. I dropped the wheel pulled the cap, put it back on. I then soaked the axle nut liberally in WD-40 and let it sit. I purchased a Milwaukee hammer gun but it didn’t have the grunt to loosen the axle nut which yes is 36mm. I used my breaker bar with a galvanized pipe over that with a 36mm axle nut socket to break and loosen the axle nut. Takes a lot of back work to make it happen. There are four 18mm bolts on the backside holding the hub in place, also hit those with WD-40. They weren’t that bad. The hard part is after all the fasteners are out time to pull the hub. I went to my dads because he has an oxygen acetylene torch set up and we heated it and pried the hub straight out. Replacement is reverse.

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed post, that was very helpful.

I have 3 corroded and swollen lug nuts to deal with as well!