Rear liftgate issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2012 Expy EL - I had to replace two broken lift gate struts. 1 shipment received one wrong strut so only installed one while waiting for the replacement. Now that I have the 2nd correct strut on, my electric lift is not working. I can hear the latch mechanism unlock, but no lift or retract?

Thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2012 Expy EL - I had to replace two broken lift gate struts. 1 shipment received one wrong strut so only installed one while waiting for the replacement. Now that I have the 2nd correct strut on, my electric lift is not working. I can hear the latch mechanism unlock, but no lift or retract?

Thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!

My 2015 Expedition with the power lift gate has a lift gate reset procedure in the vehicle owner’s manual. Did you check that?

Greyeagle

Reaction score
My pw liftgate is always opening on ts own ... thats how i found out a out the fuses..

I have hit the garage 3 times be ause it was open.
First time it did it I had to replace the rear window... $339
Dealer cost... he cut me a break on it

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, when I disconnected my driver side strut to get to the amp & sub for replacement it was a bit more involved than just disconnect/ reconnect…

Upon disconnecting the drivers strut you must not allow it to turn. Allowing it to do so somehow changes it’s open/ close stop limits.

My issues was the opposite of yours; it would close, and then immediately reopen. Then close, and reopen.

I made a “mental” note of the position of the strut end when disconnecting it. Well, it had to be moved a few times. Think the big thing was I had to close the hatch to put the truck in the garage because the Arizona sun got a bit too warm. Though I manually closed it I could hear the strut motor actuating the strut.

So, I made a few adjustments to the strut in/ out until it closed shut without reopening. Believe it took me three attempts.

“MIGHT” be your issue in reverse; if that makes sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett