Rear window weather stripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Genox113

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I bought my 2005 Expy used in 2009. The rear lift window has leaked since I got it, but it never left the car wet, or seemed to cause any problems, so I just left it alone. A couple of years ago the rear wiper motor went out, but I currently live in Germany, and it's hard to find someone that can work on Fords that speaks English. I can live with no rear wiper, so I left it alone as well. Although I had to remove the fuse for it, because it was draining my battery. I've been doing research off and on about the common issues with Expeditions, and found that both of my issues are in fact common. It seems that the two might actually be related. I want to replace my weather stripping before I try to replace the motor. I read that Ford has made an oversized weather strip to replace ours. I'd like to buy the oversized one to install myself, but I don't know what size we currently have, and the size I need to look for. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I'm sure all of that could have been asked a lot quicker, but I wanted to give just a bit of backstory in case anybody else has had this issue.

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had same problems as you have.

About rear wiper motor, I removed wiper arm, nut and washer, and set the window horizontal, and then applied lots of penetrating fluid. After some hours the shaft lossend up, and motor spun again.

About weather stripping, I removed it, and bent the lip out just a little bit. Did the trick for me, and no more water leaks. You could also try to remove weather stripping, and insert a small diameter tubing inside, to make it seal better.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had same problems as you have.

About rear wiper motor, I removed wiper arm, nut and washer, and set the window horizontal, and then applied lots of penetrating fluid. After some hours the shaft lossend up, and motor spun again.

About weather stripping, I removed it, and bent the lip out just a little bit. Did the trick for me, and no more water leaks. You could also try to remove weather stripping, and insert a small diameter tubing inside, to make it seal better.

How did you go about bending the pinch without doing any damage? That's what I'm going to try and do to fix my leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty easy. I removed weather stripping, and bent the pinch with a small plier all around. This made the weather stripping seal a little better against window, and no more leaks.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy. I removed weather stripping, and bent the pinch with a small plier all around. This made the weather stripping seal a little better against window, and no more leaks.

Nice and with pulling back the weather stripping it just fits on how it was or do I need to put some adhesive on there?
Thanks for the help by the way and apologize for somewhat thread jacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weather stripping wasnt glued on on my Expedition. Just i tight fit, so easy peasy to remove and refit.