Recommended coils and plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspitler24

Reaction score
I have searched and searched but I cannot seem to relocate the thread that had the info for recommended brand/type of coils and plugs. I know with some vehicles OEM only is a must, but I thought I read where a much cheaper kind on Amazon showed a lot of promise. If anyone knows what I’m referring to, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2001 5.4L V8 Eddie Bauer around 193k

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OEM for both and cry once. Aftermarket coils/COPs have always been shit for me, especially on Ford products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Don't even think of changing a coil unless it's bad. Save your money. And if you can't afford OEM plugs, you probably can't afford a tank of gas to drive.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to agree with trainmaster, good to have a spare coil but no point in replacing as a maintenance item. Get my parts thru rock auto, use motorcraft plugs in mine.

John Honcoop

Reaction score
I've spun wrenches for 40 or so. I've heard of coils getting weak over time. Expansion and contracting 1,000's of times tend to have a effect on things. I would have to agree personally. I know some will disagree but a very high percentage of people that replace plugs and coils at recommended intervals report getting 1-2.5 miles of fuel economy back. Mine currently is overdue for some maintenance. I know in my 01 Screw I went with street fighter COP's and NGK Iridium plugs and I haven't had any issues. I've always been one to change oil, plugs and such ahead of schedule because I tend to be hard on my vehicles. We spend money on upgrades and I for one want to get my moneys worth out of my Gibson exhaust. Here's a link to what I've found.. food for thought I guess.

http://www.f150hub.com/maintenance/4.6-5.4-f-150-maintenance.html