Recommended/preferred fuel system cleaner

Are fuel system cleaners (Chevron Techron for example) safe to use on the Triton 5.4L V8?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspitler24

Reaction score
I drive a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 with around 193k currently. I’m having some idle and acceleration problems but no pending or stored codes. I had someone recommend putting fuel system cleaner (They recommended Chevron Techron). My question is- Are fuel system cleaners (like Techron for example) safe to use? Do they cause damage to different parts of the engine or vehicle while trying to solve other issues? If recommended to use (or if it’s not going to damage anything by using it) what fuel cleaners does everyone recommend? What’s your go to cleaner and how often do you use it?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 with around 193k currently. I’m having some idle and acceleration problems but no pending or stored codes. I had someone recommend putting fuel system cleaner (They recommended Chevron Techron). My question is- Are fuel system cleaners (like Techron for example) safe to use? Do they cause damage to different parts of the engine or vehicle while trying to solve other issues? If recommended to use (or if it’s not going to damage anything by using it) what fuel cleaners does everyone recommend? What’s your go to cleaner and how often do you use it?

Techron fuel system cleaner is an excellent product. Chevron makes the GM fuel system cleaner under license for GM - which means it has been tested and proven safe.

I have used the product for years, although I buy top tier fuel often.

In the late 1990’s and early 2000’s - GM issued several TSB’s recommending using the product to eliminate inaccurate fuel gauge readings caused by sulfur deposits on the fuel sending units, from the gasoline.

Since you are having drivability issues. I would suggest using two treatments according to the label direction (two fuel tanks full). The bottles are sold in 12 and 20 ounce sizes, and state on them how many fuel tank gallons they will treat. Once you add the cleaner and fill up the tank, do not add more fuel until the level drops to at least 1/4 or less.

Several national auto part store chains often run specials on the cleaner (buy one - get one free). I often buy them on sale, to avoid paying full price when I am ready to use it.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just finishing the second run through of techron in my 221k 2003 5.4. I bought the larger 20oz bottles and did 20g fills. I'll be putting in a normal tank of gas tomorrow on my way home from work. No issues before, or currently. Previous owner had a regimen that clearly worked for well over 100k and I'm sticking w his notes. Getting ready to toss a new fuel filter in along w the oil change and brakes next week.

Price wise the best I saw for Techron my was my local costco, got 2 20oz for 14.99.

I tend to gravitate toward the top tier fuels as well, 89 octane seems to yield the best economy for me netting upper 16s-low 17 hwy. I use Shell mostly because of a rewards program through work and discount at Shell w points from Kroger. Between the two it equates to about 20cents a gallon discount plus our location gets a slight revenue kickback from the card purchases. Theres also a shell 300 feet from where leave work so its rather convenient.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I really like Hotshots Secret Extreme Gas treatment. Bumps up my 87 octane regular also. I use their diesel products in my other trucks and love the results