Remote key fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a keyfob that will work with my 2003 Ford Expedition XLT. I got the vehicle from a financial company and it was a repo. They did not have the remote for it. I called Ford and they want 64.79 for the remote and 75.00 to program it. Is there an alternate route to doing this? I've looked into key fobs and such. How does one get the FCC ID? I called the dealership here and she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about and told me those prices. Any tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fobs you can do yourself:

Programming remote transmitters It is necessary to have all (maximum of six — original and/or new) of your remote transmitters available prior to beginning this procedure. If all remote entry transmitters are not present during the programming procedure, the transmitters that are not present during programming will no longer operate the vehicle. Note: Do not press the brake pedal anytime during this sequencing, as doing so will invalidate the procedure. To program the transmitters yourself: • Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. • Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) • Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. • When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Keys are a different story (you must have two keys already programed to the vehicle in order to be able to program additional keys yourself:

Your vehicle is supplied with two coded keys. Only a coded key will start your vehicle. Spare coded keys can be purchased from your authorized dealer. Your authorized dealer can program your key or you can “do it yourself.” Refer to the Programming spare keys section in this chapter. The following items may prevent the vehicle from starting: • Large metallic objects • Electronic devices on the key chain that can be used to purchase gasoline or similar items • A second key on the same key ring as the coded key If any of these items are present, you need to keep these objects from touching the coded key while starting the engine. These objects and devices cannot damage the coded key, but can cause a momentary “no start” condition if they are too close to the key during engine start. If a problem occurs, turn ignition the OFF position and restart the engine with all other objects on the key ring held away from the ignition key. Check to make sure the coded key is an approved Ford coded key. If your keys are lost or stolen you will need to do the following: • Use your spare key to start the vehicle, or • Have your vehicle towed to a authorized dealer or a locksmith. The key codes will need to be erased from your vehicle and new key codes will need to be re-coded.

Replacing coded keys can be very costly and you may want to store an extra programmed key away from the vehicle in a safe place to prevent an unforeseen inconvenience. The correct coded key must be used for your vehicle. The use of the wrong type of coded key may lead to a “no start” condition. If an unprogrammed key is used in the ignition it will cause a “no start” condition. Programming spare keys A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only SecuriLock keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure. If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare coded key(s) programmed. Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin. 1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position [maintain ignition in 3 (ON) for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds]. 2. Turn ignition from 3 (ON) back to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position in order to remove the first coded key from the ignition. 3. Within ten seconds of removing the first coded key, insert the second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position [maintain ignition in 3 (ON) for at least three seconds but no more than ten seconds]. 4. Turn the ignition from the 3 (ON) back to 1 (OFF/LOCK) position in order to remove the second coded key from the ignition. 5. Within 10 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position [maintain ignition in 3 (ON) for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds]. This step will program your new key to a coded key.

6. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure from Step 1. If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out. If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator will flash on and off and you may repeat Steps 1 through 5. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

I had to buy key fobs a while back and this is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Control-Car-Key-Fob-Clicker-Transmitter-Replacement/272640780644?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are the same as the ones bedrck47 gave you the link for but are half the price.

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. Both are very helpful. Will this fob open the back glass too? I ask because it looks like it has a button for trunk, lock and unlock.

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the set of fobs. I'll let you guys know how I did with programming.

Right South of Elizabeth City. The next town past Elizabeth City. About 45-50 minutes from Virginia.