Remote Start help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck had a compustar CS600 start unit in it when I bought it. It's been working fine for a few years.

Recently, I did a stereo/backup cam install and while I had a lot of the dash off for paint, replaced a few pieces. After putting it all back together, the remote start doesn't work. It cranks but no start. If I put the key in the ignition and remote start it, it does work.

There doesn't appear to be a bypass module. What I found , was a spare key under the dash with just a wire wrapped around, and tapped to it. Each end of the wire goes to a relay, and the rest of the wire looped up somewhere. I think it might have gone under the steering column, as I did replace the steering wheel shroud. It appears to remotely transmit the signal from the key through the wire to somewhere.

Any ideas on this? I've tried looping the wire around the ignition, near the pats, near the bcm etc.. It's just a loop of wire coming from the key, no connection but I think it had to be near something specific to make it fire up.

I hate to have to buy a new starter and bypass module.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key was used to fool the PATS system. Try searching for the install manual for that system to see what the wires go to.

Update: I went to compustars website - they don't post install iinstructionsthere. Pretty lame.

There is a round transceiver antenna that encompasses the ignition cylinder. The key needs to be close to the antenna.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key was used to fool the PATS system. Try searching for the install manual for that system to see what the wires go to.

Update: I went to compustars website - they don't post install iinstructionsthere. Pretty lame.

There is a round transceiver antenna that encompasses the ignition cylinder. The key needs to be close to the antenna.

I do have the install instructions. No mention of this part and I was surprised not to find a bypass module under there.

I'm assuming this loop of wire that's wrapped around the key must have gone up near that antenna you mention. I have tried looping it around the ignition with no luck. The wire literally just wraps around the key, loops up near the steering wheel and both ends connect to a relay. The other wires in the relay go to the remote start unit. This was all working so I assume the wiring is all correct and I just need to figure out where this key wire needs to be near.

Just to be clear, nothing is actually disconnected. The only change seems to have been the wire wrapped around the key moved from where it was.

Last edited: