Remote Start stopped working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plrs X45

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and already love the threads. I have a 2008 Expedition EL. Yesterday, the remote start stopped working. This is with both remotes. To test it, I got into the truck, locked the doors and pressed the key fob. I hear clicking and a red light blinks on the dash (Pic of car with lock over it). I want to avoid taking it to ford if it's something easy. All doors are locked and closed.

Any advice would be great! Thank you all in advance!

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck - Not sure you have to hit LOCK twice, just the START button twice after pressing LOCK once. Love that feature in this bitter cold. As for the 08 model, I'm not sure but have you tried doing from outside the truck? Pressing LOCK and then hitting START? Good luck!

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Try this and report back. Put the key in the ignition and try to remote start while the key is in the ignition. Not sure what Ford's system does to bypass no key present but this will point you in the right direction if it starts

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and already love the threads. I have a 2008 Expedition EL. Yesterday, the remote start stopped working. This is with both remotes. To test it, I got into the truck, locked the doors and pressed the key fob. I hear clicking and a red light blinks on the dash (Pic of car with lock over it). I want to avoid taking it to ford if it's something easy. All doors are locked and closed.

Any advice would be great! Thank you all in advance!
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure if yours is the same but it might be worth reading this thread.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/272470/

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm never sure if one press of Lock locks all the doors and like to hear the confirming honk so I press it one more time. Remote start requires all doors and hatches to be locked and the confirming honk vs two honks when "some dummy" unlatched the window in the hatch assures this.

Our Subaru's (plural) have separate remote start fobs that blink blue when the the engine is running. Don't see anything like this on the Ford.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck - I do the same sometimes when walking away from the truck. I'm "pretty sure" it locked when I pressed the button but I like to hear that honk if parking out in the open somewhere.

I think what you have on your Subarus is called a 2-way remote start. Most aftermarket ones are like that - they give you some sort of confirmation that it started and is running. I looked into these on previous vehicles. GM, Ford, and others have the smartphone based apps that give you that function - for a small annual subscription of course!

Freekrow

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my '07 with a gen 3 remote start. Drove me nuts for a year. I would press the start button and it would go through the motions to start but no start. Only horn beeps, those horn beeps are codes to what could be wrong. Look up what alarm system you have from the factory and research the owners manual and installation manual the codes were there. My problem was the hood switch connection rotten and the intellakey stopped sending the chip code. Start with the chirps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701