Removing 2007 Expy air box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McZiggy

Reaction score
I've been searching and searching and haven't been able to find a how-to on removing the whole of the airbox. I purchased the larger 3" snorkel tube from ford and want to replace the more restrictive 2" tube.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368373931.931379.jpg

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
Should just be a couple of 13 mm bolts. The hardest part is seating the snorkel in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
McZiggy

McZiggy

Reaction score
I've got a k&n drop in with the larger tube. So far I haven't noticed a ton as far as performance goes. Maybe a bit more responsive. Gas mileage is a different story. Easily 2 mpg better after the battery disconnect. I'm actually shocked. I'll report back again when I have some more hard evidence. I keep track of every fill up.

No tune at all. Maybe next tax season. All depends how it tows the camper at 60 mph on the hills.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you McZiggy. I am all stock aside from "canned" superchips. I still miss the throttle response that I believe my F150 received when I added the CAI. Looking to see if there is a better way on the Expy since my wife may be taking it from me. Those mpg differences are crazy -but I always get shortsided on mpgs because of my driving style. I don't tow often - but when I do, it is 6k or less.

OP
OP
McZiggy

McZiggy

Reaction score
It will be a while before I can see mpg improvements. My wife officially has the expy. The mpg numbers I had before were when I was driving it 90% of the time. She likes to let it idle quite a bit and has a heavier foot. I do have a usual trip we take on the highway where I drive. I'll report back after we do that again.

What improvements have you seen with the super chips?

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mainly shifting improvements. Maybe a little quicker acceleration also. I was thinking of tuning it back to stock just to see how much of a difference it made. I was on the fence about doing custom tunes instead, but was talked out of it because I did not plan on doing any other mods.
I did not realize what a difference the intake made on my F150 until I took it off to trade it in - made a huge difference in response. Many say they do not see significant difference - I was impressed with the Volant I had on the F150. But it was also the older 5.4 with 2V heads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington