Removing front air dam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasDan

Reaction score
Expy FX4 skids bolt up on non FX4 Expy models.

After reading the above, and the comment about the lower bumper fascia being a little floppy with the air dam removed, I wonder if the Expy FX4 air dam, with the higher center clearance, is compatible with non-FX4 Expys. Anyone happen to know?

Thanks,
Dan

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Depends on what generation Expy I suppose, or also how much is removed because I don't have any issues.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reading the above, and the comment about the lower bumper fascia being a little floppy with the air dam removed, I wonder if the Expy FX4 air dam, with the higher center clearance, is compatible with non-FX4 Expys. Anyone happen to know?

Thanks,
Dan
While I don’t know about the FX4 air dam, I’m sure it does move about a bit. I added a skid plate to the front; the lower fascia left rub marks on the skid plate from some obvious movement (lower fascia was in contact with the skid plate after solidly mounting plate).

You could probably cut down the air dam to almost nothing, and retain the rigidity.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I don’t know about the FX4 air dam, I’m sure it does move about a bit. I added a skid plate to the front; the lower fascia left rub marks on the skid plate from some obvious movement (lower fascia was in contact with the skid plate after solidly mounting plate).

You could probably cut down the air dam to almost nothing, and retain the rigidity.

Refer to post #5 in this thread to see what the front air dam looks like when cut down to about 1" while still maintaining the rigidity of the front lower facia.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Refer to post #5 in this thread to see what the front air dam looks like when cut down to about 1" while still maintaining the rigidity of the front lower facia.
Ha ha! I thought I'd seen that somewhere!

phorn73

Reaction score
I must be an idiot because I can’t figure out what size bolt head the small ones are. 5mm is too small 6mm is too big. Same with 1/4” and 3/16”. Also do the white clips need to be removed?
4A160807-F44A-40EB-B377-9619409713B1.jpeg

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be an idiot because I can’t figure out what size bolt head the small ones are. 5mm is too small 6mm is too big. Same with 1/4” and 3/16”. Also do the white clips need to be removed?
View attachment 35039
Apparently, it’s a 5.5mm according to some instructions I had. I used a 7/32” (which is most likely the size). That size is also used for the fender liner on the inside of the wheel arch - same screws used on the fender liner.