Removing half the air cleaner tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 06 ford expedition 5.4 I'm wanting to know if I remove half the cleaner where it goes into the fender would that help with power/fuel by letting more air in? And would this cause a problem like the mass air flow sensor or something?

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try a cold air intake, find the one for your year.

My 2001 cold air intake

20170311_124246.jpg

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is this set-up a "cold air intake"? The air filter is an open one, which is under the hood with all the heat generated by the engine and hot exhaust. Where does the "cold air" come from?

I would suggest calling the places that sell them, as cold air intakes, to get a direct answer as to how, a filter under the hood, open to the heat of the engine, can get cold air.

Maybe they where ment to be only used in alaskas frozen tundra. Do not know.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A question i have been asking for some time. Including the vendors. No one has an answer.
I have also specifically asked how much is the drop in temp. Again, no answer.
Seems like a scam. I believe the theory, but the application i have seen are ineffective.
Anybody got before and after dyno runs?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Closest I could come to a low restriction cold air intake was the Volant brand. Cone cotton filter (ala K&N... inside the enclosure...). It sucks in air at the stock fender opening though, none from the engine bay itself. Sounds better than the stock setup though. Don't know about actual dyno numbers, but it can't be any worse than the stock restrictive system. The intake throat is at least twice the size of the stock one, and the flow through is smooth after the MAF sensor, unlike the stock one with the baffles.

baFr0Y.jpg