removing spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too would like to know. I'm about ready to take the plunge and do it myself. So I take it you got the front six? Did you use a "swivel", u-joint, etc to get the 3rd pair or just a plain old ratchet?

Rumor has it you may have to remove the fuel rails to get to those plugs. I wonder if there's a way around it or if removing/re-installing the rails is easy?

mustangswan

Reaction score
I use a spark plug socket with a u-joint then a 2 inch ext with another u-joint and another long ext then the wrench. You do not have to remove the fuel rail. They are not that easy, but very do-able.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would make sure and blow compressed air into the hole to get any dirt out before pulling the plugs. I go a step further and fill the holes with brake cleaner then blow out with compressed air followed by a little penetrating oil to soak for 20 minutes to make sure the plugs come out smoothly.....

Matt R

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good tips Matt...Thanks!

.....huh, huh.....he said penetrating. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

2002EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've replaced countless plugs in 4.6 and 5.4's and never pulled a fuel rail. P/S reservoir yes, rail no.

It's easier on the 4.6 it seems.

OP
OP
E

ericnj75

Reaction score
today i chose to clean the thottle body so i took it off to clean it. so i changed the plugs while i had it off. man it made life so much easier. took me less then 1 hour to change the plugs,wires and the coils. thank you guys for all your help.