Replace '06 engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shermn8r

Reaction score
Yes, the ticking is normal, I've listened to it for years and always wondered why it did that, but I accepted it, as I accept the noise the power steering has always made. However, it has seemed to be more noticeable, especially when you're up against a wall, like in a drive-thru.

Engine pulls strong on the highway. Cruise is set at 80 and varies only slightly with hills and strong headwinds. I've been consistently getting 14 mpg highway and 10-11 mpg around town. Seems about right for an engine this old.

I could have made the repairs myself, I guess, although I'm not mechanically inclined. I have the tools at home, but I wasn't at home at the time. I also couldn't do it in the time it took a mechanic to do it. For me, an alternator and serpentine belt would have taken me most of the day using my Chiltons, and there would have been a lot of @#$%^&* language, tools embedded in walls, smashed fingers and multiple extra trips to the auto parts store for things that I broke along the way. All in all, $400 was probably a bargain compared to the physical and emotional toll it would have taken on me.

The dealer did mention cam phazers, among other things, in our conversation. To his credit, I think he was trying to convince me to NOT have the repairs done, but to get another vehicle. Also to his credit, he never told me to look for something at the dealership, but to look at car prices in general around town.

There's another Ford dealership local that I'll get a quote from as well as my usual mechanic. So, what should I say to other mechanics? Should I tell them that a Ford mechanic told me I need a new engine? That seems like I'm leading them to a high-profit conclusion that they should be coming to on their own. Should I just say that I hear a new noise in the engine and let them decide for themselves?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't tell them anything. Let them come to their own conclusions. Phasers are pretty loud. But they don't require a new engine. The clicking could be injectors. You can hear them in the wife's vert with the hood up.

Last edited:

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An exhaust leak can make a ticking sound. It will change with temp as the manifolds warm up. Can you tell if the sounds are coming from the sides of the engine. Make sure no studs are broken off the manifolds.

OP
OP
S

shermn8r

Reaction score
After trips to 2 Ford dealerships and 2 other trusted mechanics, they all say the same thing - my cam phasers are bad and I need a new engine. They also all say the same price - $7,000 plus or minus a couple hundred dollars.

The cam phasers can be replaced, but the cost to replace them (parts/labor) is not much less than to replace the entire engine. Replacing them means you may still have additional problems with the engine due to the bad cams, or from something else as yet unknown. With a new engine I will have a full 3 year warranty on it.

So tomorrow I drop off the Expy with my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer.

Thanks to everyone who gave me great advice here!

AggieExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you look at my brisk spark plug post i had a similar problem with the dealership telling me that my engine was shot. it ran rough and was in poor shape. new plugs and and new cops and it now runs "too me" better than new. I too agree with DetroitDarin. i had the dealership here in college station, tx quote me 2000 for new cam phasers on a previous visit. are you getting a check engine light?