Replaced coil pack-still getting misfire code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Engine is running extremely rough. Definitely feel like it's down a cylinder. I've had problem with my #1 cylinder in the past but replacing the coil pack has always been the cure but not this time. When I get a code it's for cylinder 1 misfire.

What else can I check?

Mjh327

Reaction score
Double check that the boot is seated fully on the plug. I put new coil packs, wires, and plugs in and cylinder 1 kept throwing codes

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I've taken it off and done the best I can to reset it and I feel confident it's making it's connection. Each time I took it out the spring was holding on to the plug and had to be pulled off.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next step is check pulse going to #1 injector plug for definite power. Listen to #1 injector for ticking with stethoscope. Last ditch is pull #1 sparkplug, disarm ignition, or fuel flow, pull fuel relay, do an old school compression test. Better to know if you've got a problem with that cylinder. You just need to do compression on #1.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Next step is check pulse going to #1 injector plug for definite power. Listen to #1 injector for ticking with stethoscope. Last ditch is pull #1 sparkplug, disarm ignition, or fuel flow, pull fuel relay, do an old school compression test. Better to know if you've got a problem with that cylinder. You just need to do compression on #1.

Will check the pulses. I tried to do a compression check today and not sure what the problem was but I just couldn't get my tester threaded into the sparkplug hole. If I can confirm the pulses then I'll try again on the compression check.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's tough sometimes to screw in. Be sure your sparkplug and the screw in hose are same size.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What Moose said.

The compression tester should puff puff puff and rise up up up on the needle.
If it jerks the needle back down after it goes up you have a prob. I had one 4.6 do this.
You can also put hose down plug hole or finger or end of small something to act as stopper.
It should blow blow blow out only. It should not suck in.

Change the plug too of swap 1 and 2 to see if the miss code moves.
I have had 3 bad plugs in the past 30+ years that were fine for thousands of mile but then started misfiring. Only 3 but it happens.

Then you can unplug injector and replug ans listen to it and see it miss.
You can swap injector or swap two of them fairly easily but it us not usually one.

The connectors fail more on injectors and on coils fairly often and ride up losing connection.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm betting your 3 bad plugs were either Champion, or Autolite!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm betting your 3 bad plugs were either Champion, or Autolite!

Let me think. Regardless 3 in 40+ years is a good percentage!!

First though....I own a lawn mower small engine repair shop do I do lots of those.
I used to say the ONLY thing I'd put a champion in is a lawn mower.
Funny they are my plug of choice now FOR mowers!
I have never had a champion go bad. I have sen them fouled out to where they would not fire and needed to be replaced but not out of the blue go bad. I still don't put them in vehicles though...except the one piece ones for Ford 3 valves.

In mowers especially Hondas that come with NGK BPR5es or BP6ES I have seen a handful of plugs just go bad.
Not fouled or carboned or wet. Just not start at all or run for 30-50 seconds and die or POP loudly and die. Had two that blew the air filter cover off repeatedly. You could fire it up and mow one row and POW the cover blow across the yard and die. BAD PLUG!

I stil put NGK in hondas and many Chinese Loncins because they start easier and run better often.
All of these bad NGKs were old real JAPAN ones too. Now they at least many are not made in JAPAN anymore. Not what I expected.

Back tot the bad 3 car plugs.

One was definitely Autolite in a 2000ish Explorer.

One was a TC and almost certain motorcraft. That owner almost exclusively puts motorcraft in them BUT he could have replaced them not long before and dropped one etc. It was in number 5 or 6 cyl.

One was in a92 Isuzu Rodeo 4dr suv with 3.1 GM my wife was driving daily.
Been in long time and started missing a little and POPPING out throttle body esp uphill under load.
Cancelled out cyl until I found the popper and switched plug and perfect after that.
It was either AC Delco of Autolite. I can't remember. It was 05. I got an employee discount since she worked at parts store then and carried both brands. Autolites often a little cheaper and I have never had any issues with them so I might have been autolite too.

I put autolite in my TC in July 2012 and they are still in there. Kept the coils that were in there. 6 orig 2 replacement looked like Borg Warner gray ones to me.
I have had to replace one or two coils with old oem I have lying around but still have the plugs in there. 70K on plugs. Car has 215K.

I just put Motorcraft in my new to me 117K 03 Navigator (32v) ha ha...take than 3 valve. You only get to be called 3 valve ...mine's called a 32v. I got more---way more than you do.
Stupid btw. I have 4 and even 3 valve engine design and extra cams...even ohv cams in some ways.
I knoe they argue hp and mileage but others have done same numbers with 2 valves per cyl and even -hold on this might hurt- only ONE camshaft in the middle of the engine. Ouch--cringe cringe. I LOVE IT.

Loving pushod V-8 does not make me old or behind the times.
It is simply preferring the quality design that was already all figured out and works great.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm in catch 22 though because I love my Buick Grand National and loved the turbo V6 since they became so powerful basically in 86 with the intercooled ones.
The 3.8 or 3800 is such a great engine but it seems the even fire odd fire oddity should have never been made.
Some engines are inherently balanced like a V8 or V12 and I thought a V6 was too but apparently not.
I don't claim to get into all than but a V10 with and extra balance shaft and gear like camshaft means I DON'T want it . Give me a V8 with bigger bore and same cubes.

The 3.8 231cu in the GN is smooth acceleration, tons of power durable, small...I love them.
I dusted a ZO6 vette on 75N at 117 according to the max speed on my GPS I was using at the time. Wait, that was just a dream, fiction I tell ya. I'm the "Old man in a Lincoln" at least in my Lincoln. They are both black though but I NEVER get confused.

PLUGS PLUGS we were talking about PLUGS.

Segway "scooter" transport thingys are a good way to get from one place to another and another...just like my....SQUIRREL....I mean PLUGS.