Replacement Stereo- OEM preferred- unit and/or amp suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhowington

Reaction score
This truck has been a headache with the previous owners "solutions" to problems. Ive been looking for 3 weeks for a simple OEM replacement radio. The one the PO put is a very old eclipse that works marginally ok. I assumed this had the basic system, but found out it had the premier (written on speaker grills and found the wire where the amp apparently was).

Call me crazy, I would still like the OEM replacement, but ive never found a ford OEM so damn difficult to find. With that being said, I am almost sold on getting an aftermarket. A few things have me reluctant.

1. The PO actually use an adapater, so the original harnesses are in tact. There is the 10 and 16 pin connectors, but the 16 also has 2 sets (4) lineout (RCA) conneciton. I presume this was related to amp- two chanells. Perhaps one for amp and one for CD (they isntalled a CD changer, that doesnt work- it blows fuses- I presume its miswireD). Do these harnesses sound correct? What are the rcas for?
2. is it required to put an amp or just get a powerful enough head unit? From what I can gather, there are 4 speakers- 2 in front and 2 in back. the AWA would prefer a single CD in the unit, so I am thinking- just get a really good head unit- but ... generally ford premier sounds require a bypass. Since this amp is not here... i only found one wire. Since I found one wire- I bet it doesnt currently have a bypass
3. Seems like double-dins barely fit and singles are too small. Mine has a spacer already there- so Im assuming I can just get a single and use this same spacer/bezel. Does this seem accuratte?
4. Is MACH the same thing as "premier" or is this a totally different option? I have a 1997 XLT 5.4- no frills (cloth seats, no navigation, or the extra navigation display on the top console)
5. If I use the correct and wire correctly the harness- will this have any input on the "rear jacks"? I am not sure I really need them but.. since theya re there figure I may as well make them work.

thanks for any replies- im not in a hurry- Ideally, Id like to take a newer OEM with CD and aux input and put in- like from a 97 lincoln, but I have not read anyone who has done that.. the connection (minus the RCA) look the same. If I did that, I suspect I would need another OEM amp for it to work right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhowington

Reaction score
The truck is 1997 XLT 5.4- no frills (cloth seats, no navigation, or the extra navigation display on the top console)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u should be able to put whatever you want in there...the only prob MIGHT be theres a piece of plastic like a rod or something that everyone says they needed to cut out with a dremel or something else to make their units fit...other than that they didnt have any probs

OP
OP
M

mhowington

Reaction score
Thanks. do I need anything special to bypass the amp? It looks like the existing install- just a regular radio- and I found the amp cord while doing another project. Crutchfield.com for example asks if it is a MACH or non-MACH- Ive no idea what that means but ASSume mach=premier sound?

OP
OP
M

mhowington

Reaction score
I may be interested- but what is a mach system? Also, there is no factory amp- is that required for the mach system?

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a speaker on the right side in the rear? Should be next to the jack cubbyhole. Mach is the premier sound system. If you have it, the two front door speaker covers will be marked with Mach. If they are, you should have an amp just foreword of the rear most right speaker.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im hitting the junk yard tomorrow I can grab parts for you if you want hahah I already sold my oem radio to kyle

OP
OP
M

mhowington

Reaction score
Well perhaps I have the unusual truck... the speaker covers say "premier" or "premier audo"- and there is an amp plug in the console (matches one of the connections in the back of the radio). From what I can gather, there are just 4 speakers- two in front doors, and two in back doors. I peeked in the jack area and didnt notice speakers, amp, wires etc - but I didnt dig through either. Im assuming for OEM purposes, would need head unit and small amp, or an amp bypass. The plug in the console, however is just one plug. The premier systems in other fords I have seen have two plugs- so to bypass you simply plug in a cord that connects to both connectors. Either way, I would like an OEM unit, but if I need the unit and amp, I can get a decent aftermarket (with CD and ipod connections) for probably close to what the fac amp and head unit would cost?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington