Replacement storage tray/shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bsevans5

Reaction score
Sounds like a short barrel AR15.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a secret storage space for one? Crew cab trucks have those storage thigs and secure locking boxes you can mount under the back seat. The expedition doesnt have anything like that, so i dreamed up an idea to hollow out the storage tray in the back or if there was a clean way to make a hatch for access at the back to behind that plastic on the sides on the cargo area...oh the fun one could have...

OP
OP
B

bsevans5

Reaction score
Console vault makes these for the console: http://www.consolevault.com/ford-expedition-with-sync-system-2009-2011.html

The 17 has this space that could be removed and a customized tray installed with a locking cover that the tray /shelf could cover.

View attachment 21486 View attachment 21487 View attachment 21488
That picture is what i was referring to in the title of the thread. Im wondering if anyone know where i could find a spare one of those so i can work a mock-up before i just chop up the one currently in my vehicle.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think you are going to have a hard time finding one if you can't find one in a junk yard.

New the are $731.97 from here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2010&m=Ford&mo=Expedition#Search

Here's my suggestion for what it's worth. Remove the tray underneath the cargo cover and have someone build a 1/8" thick steel box with a locking cover that fits that space and have it customized for what ever you want to carry and bolt it to the floor so it can't be easily removed and leave the cargo cover alone to hide what's underneath.

Cargo cover..JPG

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

taatt2girl

Reaction score
Did you try carpart? That's all the inventory the salvage yards have. Or local junkyard also , maybe you can piece something together!

Plati

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but related. I pulled most of the seats out and built a platform in my 2014 EL. A bit crude but functional. Strong metal brackets bolt into original seat threaded holes to fasten down. Use platform as bed and have removable panels to get to storage areas for long duration camping trips. Carpet makes it look stock from outside windows looking in. Raised that platform up about 4" up from stock, so ton of storage for emergency supplies/tools in the jack area & still easy to get to from rear hatch. Eleven inches height storage underneath platform behind driver seat - just right for 3 milk crates side by side that I can slide in or out. When you take all that crap out like the storage tray mentioned there is a lot more useable space. A few discreet locations for secure storage of valuables. I like sleeping in my truck better than a tent in Grizzly country and can also coyote camp anywhere even on a city street if exhausted. One handy "hiding place" is under the jump seat in back. Use motor to pivot seat down forward and place <un-named possession> there then pivot back up. If some scumbag does a smash&grab at a trailhead, probably not going to take time to get down there ... don't think motor will operate unless truck legitimately unlocked & I can unplug motor also for another layer of security. Like that console vault a LOT, going to get one of those! Want to add solar panels on roof/batteries and DC powered cooler ... if anyone can point me to plans for that PLEASE DO

IMG_0321.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bsevans5

Reaction score
When i got my expedition we discovered it had a bug infestation (long story...lots of drama). Due all the stuff that went down, i l3arned a lot about all the space because i had to pull panels and all the seats out up to the driver and front passenger. If i didnt need all the seats, a lot could be done there...but if i didnt need 7 seatbelts, I'd still have my f-150...