Replacing tires on 2015 Expedition EL - mostly for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grey2112

Reaction score
I was finally able to find them - I had originally been searching using my 2015 Expedition as the basis for the search and they didn't pop up due to some internal programming issues on Tire Rack's website.

Got a quote of around $1100 installed including tax locally here.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was finally able to find them - I had originally been searching using my 2015 Expedition as the basis for the search and they didn't pop up due to some internal programming issues on Tire Rack's website.

Got a quote of around $1100 installed including tax locally here.

A quote for which tires for 1,100? Just a a FYI Costco in Brandon has the LTX AT2 LR Es for 1,071 installed plus tax and that includes lifetime rotation/balance as well as road hazard (their road hazard isn't bad either). The LTX MS2 are 971.96 plus tax installed.

If you don't offroad I would go with the M/S2s. We've had guys go over 100K miles on them before getting to 4/32s where we replace tires.

OP
OP
G

grey2112

Reaction score
A quote for which tires for 1,100? Just a a FYI Costco in Brandon has the LTX AT2 LR Es for 1,071 installed plus tax and that includes lifetime rotation/balance as well as road hazard (their road hazard isn't bad either). The LTX MS2 are 971.96 plus tax installed.

If you don't offroad I would go with the M/S2s. We've had guys go over 100K miles on them before getting to 4/32s where we replace tires.

The M/S2s - yeah, decent price, good local tire company. I still may see how long I can go with the current ones if I'm not doing any long-range trailering for the next 8-12 months.

Got my boat trailer weighed finally and discovered I'm sitting on about 950 pounds tongue weight, which is about 13% on the tongue - it should be 5%-7%, or around 450 pounds or so. So I'm going to have to move the boat back on the trailer to make the tongue weight lower. No wonder I'm getting such "squish" on the rear axle when hitched up.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The M/S2s - yeah, decent price, good local tire company. I still may see how long I can go with the current ones if I'm not doing any long-range trailering for the next 8-12 months.

Got my boat trailer weighed finally and discovered I'm sitting on about 950 pounds tongue weight, which is about 13% on the tongue - it should be 5%-7%, or around 450 pounds or so. So I'm going to have to move the boat back on the trailer to make the tongue weight lower. No wonder I'm getting such "squish" on the rear axle when hitched up.
You won't like it with that little tongue weight. From experience pulling a similar boat you want to be around 800 or so. I had zero problems once I went to E tires. It also made the truck more livable on a daily basis as far as braking and handling.

OP
OP
G

grey2112

Reaction score
You won't like it with that little tongue weight. From experience pulling a similar boat you want to be around 800 or so. I had zero problems once I went to E tires. It also made the truck more livable on a daily basis as far as braking and handling.

Hmm - I keep reading that my tongue weight limit without a WDH on the Expedition is 660 pounds. I read that 5%-7% is ideal tongue weight for a boat trailer.

Luckily I can easily experiment a little with the position of the boat on the trailer - moving it back even a few inches will allow for some experimentation.

ludlow

Reaction score
I put Michelin Defender LTXs on my 2014 Expedition EL. I bought these from the local ford dealer as their price was as good as any of the local tire shops. I pull a 5500lb camper and these were a big improvement over the P tires that came on the vehicle.

buckeyefan

Reaction score
About time to to look for tires for my 2015 EL 275/55R20. I went to Tire discounter and tire rack to get quotes. Found out that the current version of the LTX AT2 is no longer shipping (275/55R20) and the rest of the LTX AT2 line is being discontinued. Looks like they will launch a new replacement but timing is not known.
So now I need to choose choice B. Not sure what to pick. Was looking for an AT tire. Any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------
Visitor
Hi. Do you know when the back order of the LTX at2 for 275/55R20 will be shipping again?
06:29pm

Agent - Falisha
Hello, I will be happy to assist.

Agent - Falisha
Thank you. That tire has been discontinued.
06:32pm

Visitor
Does Michelin have a replacement?
06:33pm

Visitor
and is it just for that size?
06:33pm

Agent - Falisha
That size, the rest are being phased out
06:34pm

Agent - Falisha
Im checking for a replacement. One moment
06:34pm

Visitor
ok. bummer, I really loved that tire on my other trucks
06:35pm

Agent - Falisha
It will be replaced with the same tire just improved tread but I do not have a release date
06:35pm

Visitor
ok, thanks for all the info.
06:37pm

Agent - Falisha
You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?