Ride is awful

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still hope the next version has an air suspension option. it makes a huge difference, even my WK2 rode so much better than the non-airbag models. When I'm riding in Yukon's for example, with the airbags, it's a huge difference. That "decoupling" of the chassis helps absorb noise, impacts, etc. But even if the next version did, I'm still likely not going to jump, the quality still has me nervous daily.

moonlitj

Reaction score
I am in the same situation. The limited doesn't have the same suspension as the platinum. Everyone says go to 18 in wheels. I had 20's on my last 2 SUV's one of them was a Yukon XL. It road great. I have 18's on my F150 and the ride got better with a good quality tire. I got my expedition as a certified used and they just threw some cheap tire on it that are like 30K tires. I think that is a big part of my problem. You can get a good set of tires on a set of 20in F150 wheels that were take offs for someone for the same price as new tires for 22's. I think that is what I will do first before aftermarket shocks.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dads escalade has 275/50 Bridgestone tires on it and his tries are way smoother and quieter than mines. I wish I was able to get those on mine because I'm sure my nav would ride and drive way quieter if I had them on it. Mines are 285/45 tires, and they pick up damn near everything.

Asphalt Kid

Reaction score
Not sure of all the bad rides here....but my 2023 Platinum with all options ride like a million bucks...best ride i have ever had and i've had lots...I do agree with Mr.Big tire brands can make a difference...

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get normal size wheels with tires with some side walls.
Wonder why they do this stupid crap..
No sidewalls

I really don't see the point of wheels that are greater than 20" in diameter. I think 18" and 20" are the sweet spots.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really don't see the point of wheels that are greater than 20" in diameter. I think 18" and 20" are the sweet spots.
There is value in them, both aesthetics and functional. There's a reason why often times highway mileage increases with the larger wheels, and in general you will find that lower profile tires perform better in lateral movements as the sidewalls actually bend and shift side to side more. I wouldn't have ever raced on trackers (drag or circuit) with high profile tires, I'd have been trashed.

If you look at the way most of these vehicles are designed looks wise now, you have these massive fenders and front ends that to many, look better filled with a nice wheel rather than a big clunky truck tire. Like an Escalade running the same offroad style wheels and tires as say a Land Cruiser just isn't going to look the same. there are benefits on both sides, really depends on what you do with your rig.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
My 2020 with 20" OEM Hankook Dynapro tires rides pretty good, especially compared to my 2015 F-150 4x4 even though the F-150 had 18" wheels and Michelin Defender LTX tires. It's no 1965 Eldorado but I have no complaints on moderately decent roads.

My parents' have a 2022 2WD Max that had the factory 22" 285/45 OEM tires and it rode noticeably worse than mine. Stiff and you felt every crack in the pavement. They swapped to 265/70/18 Michelin Defender LTX and it tamed the ride down nicely. Road cracks are almost unnoticeable now. Stay away from load range E tires as they ride stiffer unless you explicitly need the higher load capacity.

I also notice a big difference between the 40 PSI the tire shop folks love to air them up to and the 35 PSI I keep them at normally. It's worth pointing out that tire pressure vs load is a linear function. If you graph a line between 0 PSI and 0 weight to the max PSI and max load shown on the sidewall of the tire, it's a straight line and you can use that as a baseline for manufacturer recommended pressure for any given axle weight / 2.

If yours has CCD, sport mode stiffens up the ride significantly.

I've seen people here and elsewhere complain about the "floaty" or wallowy feeling in the Expeditions, to which I would respond that I don't WANT to know what the road is doing. I bought a couch with wheels and I expect it to be comfortable like a couch, which for the most part mine is.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2020 with 20" OEM Hankook Dynapro tires rides pretty good, especially compared to my 2015 F-150 4x4 even though the F-150 had 18" wheels and Michelin Defender LTX tires. It's no 1965 Eldorado but I have no complaints on moderately decent roads.

My parents' have a 2022 2WD Max that had the factory 22" 285/45 OEM tires and it rode noticeably worse than mine. Stiff and you felt every crack in the pavement. They swapped to 265/70/18 Michelin Defender LTX and it tamed the ride down nicely. Road cracks are almost unnoticeable now. Stay away from load range E tires as they ride stiffer unless you explicitly need the higher load capacity.

I also notice a big difference between the 40 PSI the tire shop folks love to air them up to and the 35 PSI I keep them at normally. It's worth pointing out that tire pressure vs load is a linear function. If you graph a line between 0 PSI and 0 weight to the max PSI and max load shown on the sidewall of the tire, it's a straight line and you can use that as a baseline for manufacturer recommended pressure for any given axle weight / 2.

If yours has CCD, sport mode stiffens up the ride significantly.

I've seen people here and elsewhere complain about the "floaty" or wallowy feeling in the Expeditions, to which I would respond that I don't WANT to know what the road is doing. I bought a couch with wheels and I expect it to be comfortable like a couch, which for the most part mine is.

MY 2024 with 20" OEM Hankook Dynapro tires rides pretty good too. It comes with the black accent package on xlt.