Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greyfox

Reaction score
Just completed a 2400 mile trip from Virginia to Montana in my 2018 Exp. Platinum.
Thought I would make a few comments and observations.
1st this is the first US built car I have had in 30 years, just coming off a 3 year lease from a 2016 BMW 650 ix. (450 hp).)
In my view the Exp is much smoother and more quiet. than the BMW and just as good a drive as my wifes Mercedes.
Drove across South Dakota, Wyoming and into North West Montana - lots of mountain passes - Exp handled the mountains with ease (I was not towing)
I got 20 MPG over the 2400 miles ( before the trip I only had 250 miles on the car).
Sirius Trip app is crap - at least 1/2 the time when looking for a hotel - I select the hotel such as Holiday Inn Express - press the call button and get the Quality Inn!! - tried it twice. Another time used the set as destination in the same app for a restaurant and it took me to the wrong place. Took a look at the restaurant in the app and it had the wrong address. Didn't use it again and used google maps
So - my experience driving the car is terrific - love it and I am so happy I made the purchase. Don't like the Sync 3 - navigation - compared to BMW and others it just isn't as good.
PS: this car is unbelievably comfortable for a long trip

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice. My wife and I are planning a trip to the Black Hills in early July in my XLT Max. Should be close to 2000 miles. Hope to get over 20MPG. Do you have the tow package? How fast were you driving?

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do similar soon, 18 Expi, Max, Plat, with tow. I know the 3.73 final drive will hurt me a bit on the highway. I too have had German cars for many years and full Size American SUV's since 94. The choice for long road trips is a no brainer, the big trucks. Also, nice to be able to click off 500 miles between fuel stops, which the Expy Max should do

OP
OP
G

Greyfox

Reaction score
I do not have the tow package. The first leg of the trip VA to Louisville, KY because of the speed limit and winding drive on Rt 64 probably averaged aro 60 65 mph. Drove 600 miles on this leg and got 22MPG.
From KY to Sioux City SD (800miles) speed aro 70-73 MPH got aro 19 MPG. Sioux City to Gillette WY - drove 80 plus all day - 18 MPG (500 miles)- last Day Gillette WY to Whitefish - 650 miles 80mph 18.5 MPG
We split the driving 50/50 my wife and I - I use the adaptive Cruise all day - she never uses it .
PS: the seats are so comfortable, both of us have small issues with our backs - NO issues at all having been in the car 10 to 12 hours a day - both of us arrived without stiff backs - amazing - just for the seats in the Platinum I recommend this vehicle - and also having the passenger side have a massaging seat is a big plus. Glad I bought the white color - even though you are constantly scrubing off bugs the car looks clean -

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too am making a cross country trip come July. Going from Chicago to Seattle and towing a small boat, I bought the Expy with this trip in mind. The boat and trailer combo weighs right at 1500 lbs so I figure it will cost me a few mpg. Keeping my speeds under 70mph should help though.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too am making a cross country trip come July. Going from Chicago to Seattle and towing a small boat, I bought the Expy with this trip in mind. The boat and trailer combo weighs right at 1500 lbs so I figure it will cost me a few mpg. Keeping my speeds under 70mph should help though.

That must be a pretty small boat. I trailer my 20' boat to the Olympic Peninsula each August to fish off of La Push. Incredible.

I do not have the tow package. The first leg of the trip VA to Louisville, KY because of the speed limit and winding drive on Rt 64 probably averaged aro 60 65 mph. Drove 600 miles on this leg and got 22MPG.
From KY to Sioux City SD (800miles) speed aro 70-73 MPH got aro 19 MPG. Sioux City to Gillette WY - drove 80 plus all day - 18 MPG (500 miles)- last Day Gillette WY to Whitefish - 650 miles 80mph 18.5 MPG
We split the driving 50/50 my wife and I - I use the adaptive Cruise all day - she never uses it .
PS: the seats are so comfortable, both of us have small issues with our backs - NO issues at all having been in the car 10 to 12 hours a day - both of us arrived without stiff backs - amazing - just for the seats in the Platinum I recommend this vehicle - and also having the passenger side have a massaging seat is a big plus. Glad I bought the white color - even though you are constantly scrubing off bugs the car looks clean -

I have seen 24MPG indicated at a steady 65MPH, so I'm surprised you only saw 22MPG. But equally surprised you managed 18.5MPG at 80MPH. That's amazing.

TNJohn

Reaction score
We made a trip from East Tennessee to Connecticut this weekend in our Max Platinum with tow package. The route followed I 81 to Pennsylvania, then I 78 to NJ, I 287 to CT, then I 95 to our destination. So there was a mix of mountains and urban driving with cruise at 75 most of the time. The average MPG, as calculated by the on board computer, was 23.1. The 3.73 doesn't ding the mileage like I thought it would. I did burn premium so I could feel the full horsepower - probably wouldn't do that again. Overall, I am very pleased

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jimp

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the navigation has not improved. I have a 2014 KR and the navigation sucks, we still use the old Garmin when we travel. I do like the Travel Weather feature, saved some hail damage once. noted it on the screen and decided it was time for lunch. Pulled into old drive in and had lunch, just about the time we were done it hit. Glad we were mostly under cover.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Detroit to Amelia Island via Nashville to pick up my son. Cruise set at 77 (Waze indicates 78) average is 21 mpg highway. Mix between regular and Premium to notice driveablility and FE economy impact, MPG drops perhaps 1 mpg with regular. Lane assist kept up in lane, be it a bit going form side to side for perhaps 5 miles at a shot at night, hands very close to the wheel