2016 XLT - No Transmission cooler before road trip in 100* heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCoutdoors

Reaction score
Hi all - been a lurker for a bit, enjoying the forum and knowledge others have.

I have a newer to me 16' Expedition XLT 4x4 for 2 months now, 110k miles. So far I've replaced plugs, drilled weep hole (one or both fixed high rpm shudder), did 1 drain and fill with filter replacement on trans, and changed oil. Enjoying the rig, runs well and shifts well.

My observation and question: I've noticed my warmed up Expedition trans temps during the 100* days anywhere between 200* and 225* (highway doing 85+ mph). If I drop it down to 75 the temps seem to stay near 215*. I've read many threads regarding the 6R80, how it can handle higher temps, and one transmission engineer stating 225* all day long is fine, 250* is cause for concern and only for short period of time.

My question: I have a week before leaving on a work trip 6+ hours each way in 100* heat (not towing anything) with large hills. My rig does NOT have a trans cooler, but has the clips to install one. In your opinion and if this was your rig, should I rush to get one installed before the trip or am I over concerned/overthinking higher prolonged temps on my trans? Highway speed limit is 80 mph to my location just fyi, would prefer to do 85 but not if it leads to unnecessarily higher temps for a prolonged time. Goal is to not replace/rebuild trans sooner than I have to.

Appreciate your opinions/experiences.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I can't say I've personally seen it on a 2016, I believe all automatic transmissions have coolers. Perhaps not a secondary or external cooler, but it should at least have a couple of lines running into the tank of the radiator for a primary cooler.
Your transmission fluid will start breaking down from excess heat long before the heat damages the transmission itself. Heat kills the properties of the fluid, bad fluid kills the transmission.
I wouldn't hesitate to run it, just keep an eye on the gauges if you're in doubt.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be a cooler built into the radiator, but there is a thermostat in the transmission, think it's 195ish. I believe the reason for the higher temperature is to boil moisture out of the oil, it's one of the reasons you can run trans fluid so much longer now than 30 years ago. As long as it's staying under 250° I wouldn't worry about it. There are aftermarket coolers you could add, the HD tow package adds an auxiliary cooler but it'd still run 200-210° because of the thermostat.

OP
OP
C

CCoutdoors

Reaction score
Thank you all, appreciate the input and replies. I’ll give a post trip report so others can reference.

The plan is to add one of the available coolers which clip in front of the radiator in the next few months for towing a small camper next summer.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have the same year and model. Added the tranny cooler after pulling heavy tent trailer and seeing temps as high as 238. That took place while towing when it was over 100 degrees. Since having the tranny cooler installed - never higher than 212. Usually "205-210".

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW…my 2014 LTD has a tow package, including an external xmsn cooler. I tow a 3500 lb trailer. I don’t have a xmsn temp gauge, but when I’m towing on flats or hills the coolant gauge needle stays locked in the same spot throughout a trip regardless of OAT.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting those cooler line quick connects out of radiator to add the stock auxiliary cooler. I bought on to snap in but was unable to disconnect the lines no matter how hard I or others have tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett