Rod knockin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dani*B

Reaction score
Check to see if you have any loose rod bearings. Is it louder when you get above 35?

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to see if you have any loose rod bearings. Is it louder when you get above 35?

na not really,i mostly notice it when its cold thats when its at its loudest. after when it warms up and i began to drive it goes away but sumtimes i can still notice the sound when im at idle after i come to a stop or when i sittin in park.but still not as bad as when the engine is cold

Reaction score
Check ur spark plugs.

When the 5.4s spark plugs blow out -- very common problem -- it sounds like knocking - loud ass knocking lol

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check ur spark plugs.

When the 5.4s spark plugs blow out -- very common problem -- it sounds like knocking - loud ass knocking lol

i just got a tune up at 100k so i hope theose damn motorcraft spark plugs arent goin bad already and im only coming up on 110k miles so it could just be age

OVERK|LL

Reaction score
Rod knock gets louder as the engine gets warmer and the oil gets thinner. So it probably isn't rod knock. If it almost goes away as the engine gets hot, it is likely piston slap.