Rumbling noise on turning 2017 exp LTD EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly don’t believe it is clutch drag.

In my old CJ7 with manual locking hubs and an old school manual lever driven transfer case, they would spin slowly at high way speed and no where near the speed the wheel was going. It was because even great greased bearings would still transfer enough energy to spin them a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed i have seen the same thing on my old CJ. Those manual hubs sure broke easy. I was forever putting another one on.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly don’t believe it is clutch drag.

In my old CJ7 with manual locking hubs and an old school manual lever driven transfer case, they would spin slowly at high way speed and no where near the speed the wheel was going. It was because even great greased bearings would still transfer enough energy to spin them a little.

I actually assumed that because my Excursion spun them a little also but being new to the auto 4wd thing I just assumed the video sent by sunflower was right. At any rate they just go along for the ride and aren't truly locked in while in 2wd.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent real world experience! Awesome stuff.

In adverse conditions, I definitely engage 4A, and agree it definitely helps with Traction.

I use it when going up Mt Shasta with my snowmobile behind and it's all I need. I think they have perfected it so well that that the "locked solid" version is going the way of hula hoops but I doubt if Jeep, Land Rover, etc will do away with it anytime soon.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed i have seen the same thing on my old CJ. Those manual hubs sure broke easy. I was forever putting another one on.

Truth! OMG. I just kept one all the time in my Grandfathers garage!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quality response as expected. Thank You. I guess I knew it had that in the owners manual (even my 2014) but I was hoping for some actual data about "how much". Still appreciate the effort.

So ... here is what I might have said in response to that mpg/power issue. After 21 years with 3 Expy's that have 4A and 391,000 Expy miles under my belt .... and after I have driven most of those miles in 4A and some of those miles in 2H ... my own personal experience is that there is not much if any discernable difference in mpg and or "power" between the two. Of course I may not be the most capable person to sense any power difference but I have actually run several test drives to determine if there is a noticeable difference in mpg and do not recall ever reading a difference on a repeatable basis. That is not to say there isn't a difference, just that my testing regimen did not indicate a difference in mpg. My suspicion is that 2H will give you better mpg but such a small delta that for all intents and purposes there is no difference. I'm not aware of any testing that shows the magnitude of any difference or under what driving conditions such a difference would occur. Since I feel safer staying in 4A for that situation where that might provide improved road traction and my firm belief that there is only a minimal improvement in mpg, I choose to leave it in 4A most of the time. I have been able to confirm situations where 4A keeps the rear wheels from spinning (vs 2H) in situations where you would not prefer that to happen. I've put the vast majority of my 391K miles in 4A and have not had any drive train parts break yet. Small sample but thats what I've found.

and thats just my experience is all
I would like to have all that money you wasted on parts you wore out and gas in all those miles, also auto 4wd does nothing on wet roads unless you have bald tires and a lead foot. General consensus is that auto wastes 1 MPG. Not to mention the power you robbed yourself of.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a boat with twins right now, twin 5.7 V8’s to be exact. People on the dock are asking me why I’m not happy with my V6 and pointing out I’ll be using double the fuel to feed two V8’s. My answer is and? You live once, do what makes you happy. I’ll be arriving to the dock in a lot more style with two 5.7 Liters chugging away out thru hall exhaust than my V6. Same deal, if we want to run in 4A that’s our business lol. 4A is well worth the safety and added traction for 0.5 MPG at the most and doesn’t wear anything out according to anyone I know. I drive a 20 foot long V8 powered bus that’s 6,000 pounds. I’m not worried about 0.5 MPG, I’d drive an Accord if I was.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to have all that money you wasted on parts you wore out and gas in all those miles, also auto 4wd does nothing on wet roads unless you have bald tires. General consensus is that auto wastes 1 MPG.

See, and this is why I made my comment earlier...

Leaving from a stop light on a greasy road in the wet in 4A definitely makes a difference. I never have bald tires. Not saying it doesn’t do fine without it, but it can definitely make a difference.

From a parts perspective, it probably made no difference. Maybe from a MPG standpoint he wasted a little, but I probably waste WAY more than he does in far less miles, just accelerating as hard as I do.

You just don’t know when to quit sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Leaving from a stop light on a greasy road in the wet in 4A definitely makes a difference. I never have bald tires. Not saying it doesn’t do fine without it, but it can definitely make a difference.

From a parts perspective, it probably made no difference. Maybe from a MPG standpoint he wasted a little, but I probably waste WAY more than he does in far less miles, just accelerating as hard as I do.

Nah, you just don't know everything sometimes.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m looking for a boat with twins right now, twin 5.7 V8’s to be exact. People on the dock are asking me why I’m not happy with my V6 and pointing out I’ll be using double the fuel to feed two V8’s. My answer is and? You live once, do what makes you happy. I’ll be arriving to the dock in a lot more style with two 5.7 Liters chugging away out thru hall exhaust than my V6. Same deal, if we want to run in 4A that’s our business lol. 4A is well worth the safety and added traction for 0.5 MPG at the most and doesn’t wear anything out according to anyone I know. I drive a 20 foot long V8 powered bus that’s 6,000 pounds. I’m not worried about 0.5 MPG, I’d drive an Accord if I was.

Yep.

The funny part is I have no issue driving all the time in 4A. The wife doesn’t like it. She can feel the difference.

She has driven large RWD now for over 15 years(We have been married for 16). A lifted F250 for 8 of those years. She doesn’t mind it getting a little loose in the rear when she wants it to, and stomps on it. When the weather gets nasty, she puts it in 4A.

Not to mention the 2020 always starts in Normal, and normal is 2H.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not with sticker being a stickler, I guess you never read his stuff, and that wasn't your concern anyway.

Last edited: