Sagging rear - suspension or new hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as the connector is wired correctly
One way to test would be to have the expy connected to the trailer and the trailer battery disconnected. Provided the jack isn't wired directly to the trailer battery.

If the jack works then you know for sure

Jon P

Reaction score
Are you confident that the trailer is loaded properly? As Charles said the proper tongue weight is critical and should be between 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer weight.

OP
OP
D

DebbieC

Reaction score
Are you confident that the trailer is loaded properly? As Charles said the proper tongue weight is critical and should be between 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer weight.

My dad took it to a flying j a few years ago and got on their cat scale with and without and somehow they put the tongue on a tiny stand and got the tongue weight figured out. I was fine. The only thing we've done since then was take the jack knife sofa out of the back bunkhouse. It wasn't that heavy so I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but maybe it did.

Orville

Reaction score
I've towed 8000 with my 16 with HD towing package. And with a receiver that was originally used on an f150. Go look at the hitch heights on an expedition vs any other pickup truck. Ford puts the hitch in the bumper on an expedition, and below the bumper on pickup trucks. That's 3-4 inches right there. TT receivers are designed to have 2-6 degrees of tilt so the equalizer springs have something to pivot against. If you're too high on the TT tongue side, you've added too many degrees of tilt to the ball and the equalizer springs can't work.

Adding heavy coil springs is a bad idea. Just get the hitch set up right and it will be fine. You'll need to add a brake controller. The regular tow package has the 7 pin but not the in dash controls for brakes. And of course all the coolers. The axle ratio is only doing to effect your off the line performance and top gear selection. The ecoboost does fine with any axle gear due to its torque curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suggestion isn't to add coil springs... replace with springs that will handle more weight... that's what I did on my truck... they will support 2k more pounds over oem springs... same height... beefy yes but won't sag at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DebbieC

Reaction score
Well my dad has been a busy little bee while I have been at work yesterday and today. He took the new hitch mount to a tractor trailer repair store and had them torque the bolts in the new mount for my suv. He also went ahead and bought the sumosprings helper springs and put them on my car while I was at work. I was a little surprised to see that they were not a solid/hard insert. It was more rubbery. I was not expecting that. It ended up raising my rear by 1/2" I have no idea what that's going to do to the mount. So tomorrow we're going to go for round 3 of trying to get this right. He brought in the trailer so now I will FINALLY have level ground to get it all set up on. Fingers crossed.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my dad has been a busy little bee while I have been at work yesterday and today. He took the new hitch mount to a tractor trailer repair store and had them torque the bolts in the new mount for my suv. He also went ahead and bought the sumosprings helper springs and put them on my car while I was at work. I was a little surprised to see that they were not a solid/hard insert. It was more rubbery. I was not expecting that. It ended up raising my rear by 1/2" I have no idea what that's going to do to the mount. So tomorrow we're going to go for round 3 of trying to get this right. He brought in the trailer so now I will FINALLY have level ground to get it all set up on. Fingers crossed.
Good luck Debbie. I'll be curious to see how it handles and how you like it once you have it set up correctly.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Trailer weight and balance is a constant topic in the camper/RV forums.

Towing capacity is determined by both the vehicle's drive train and the physical trailer hitch configuration. In the Expedition's case the 9000-9200 pound max towing capacity requires an aftermarket weight distribution hitch AND the factory HD towing package which retails for about $300 on a new truck. HD engine and transmission radiators are the primary components and these can be retrofitted by a good mechanic (but probably not for 300 bucks). The round Bargman RV connector is an other key to the HD tow package, not just the 4-pole "boat trailer" connection. The 3.73 limited slip axles were part of the 2007 package. I think the ECU handles this on my 2017 as the axles are open. Working well so far as I only tow once or twice a month, not daily.

An indicator the WDH is set up properly is both the truck and trailer are level. Parallel to the road. Both the front rear suspensions of the truck should depress equally. If the rear drops an inch the front should too. Just measure to the top of the wheel arch before and after. If the front does not depress no weight transfer is taking place. Self leveling suspension must be switched Off during this process. Towing level i an indicator, not the goal. Self leveling suspensions or helper springs can make the truck level but don't transfer an once to the front axle. Helper springs to not change the axle rating either. Use a proper WDH. My personal recommendation is the dirt simple Equalizer (brand) in the appropriate weight range. Includes trail sway control (a topic all its own). Trailer sway is a euphemism for fishtailing, a very dangerous occurrence (note the previous video).

My Photobucket photos are being held for ransom by them so I can't post them anymore but for my under 6000 pound Rockwood Roo 23SS travel travel trailer using the Equalizer (brand) WDH the top of the ball with no trailer on it is 22-1/2" off the pavement. This was established buy long experimentation with my 2007 Expedition and the same draw-bar and trailer connected to my new 2017 had needed no changes. That's a good starting point if you have an Expedition but plan on an afternoon of adjustments. RV dealer was little help.

Final notes: Conventional trailers need 10% to 15% of their total weight on the ball. For my 6000 pound camper that's 600 pounds near the limit of the weight carrying capacity of the truck receiver. Boat trailers due to their weight distribution (heavy engine at the rear) need 8% to 10%. I have a tongue weight scale used for initial setup and when renting trailers. Also keep in mind that any weight put on the ball comes off the truck's weight carrying capacity. You shouldn't expect to tow 9200 pounds and carry seven passengers at the same time.

-- Chuck