Sanding Before Herculiner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So Im about to start my new project on my 02 Expedition 4x4. Mine is silver with the DSG trim, which I think looks ugly. So Im changing it. So what im going to do is paint the rear bumper w/ plastic cover, the fender flares, side step nerf bars, and front bumper top pad & lower valance (the plastic part) with black Herculiner truck bedliner. The actual metal bumper will stay silver as it was originally from the factory.
I had to order a new front bumper anyways because my wife had an accident and it was irrepairable. So the new pieces have all finally come in and im going to get started.

How should I prep all these? Just using sand paper? I do have a grinder, but that seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? Its a combination of both plastic and metal. The Herculiner stuff should adhere pretty well to just an abrasive surface I would think. The Herculiner kit comes as a "roll on" kit, but Im toying with the idea of getting a cheap textured spray gun for the job.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You need to knock down the shine on those surfaces. A red scotchbrite will do. Then wipe it down with prep solvent and paint.

For the plastic parts, clean them with a prep solvent and then hit them with some adhesion promoter (auto parts stores have this) and then paint.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
I've not sprayed Herc before, but I have sprayed a 2-part epoxy bed liner on my Land Cruiser in my driveway (RattleGuard, which is out of business by my inquiries). If you do spray it, know that you'll be masking the ENTIRE vehicle, as well as anything within 10 ft of the work area. RattleGuard is sprayed with a Shutz gun, but with Herc being notably thinner I can't say how well a Shutz gun would spray it.

As far as prep, resist the urge to skimp and instead get rid of all traces of shine from the paint. A red Scotchgard pad is 'safest' but a DA sander and 240 grit or coarser makes for sweetly quick work of big, flat areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGuyWho

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. All pieces will be off the car when painted. Right now Im leaning towards just doing it as a roll on.

Any recommendation on the prep solvent and adhesive promoter? Or will any off the shelf stuff do fine?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik