Scammed or Clueless? 2009 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sure he directed it to you and this thread especially the part in which he stated
" I feel your pain, but the dealer should be doing all the work here."

He is just saying what everyone else has said

I do not feel any pain. Would have been nice to not have this occur. I did my homework trying to minimize the potential problems with seller/year/model, but the risk is always there with an expensive complex vehicle bought used. I got the short straw, but then I dotted the I's, crossed the Ts. I may wind up with a new engine mostly paid for by someone else when all is said and done. Even if I get nothing, I think the vehicle as is, is worth (to me), the purchase price plus engine replacement cost.

The vehicle is exactly what I wanted.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! Am I reading this wrong, or did you have to pay $6,600 out of your pocket, and they paid $0. Gee how generous of them to give a $500.00 reduction, on something that they never paid up on that they should of. If that's what I'm reading, I'll reiterate Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked up vehicle today.

Reman engine about $6,600 with tax.

POSITIVES
o Warranty company gave me $500 reduction (5 year coverage) when they heard I was planning to cancel since 1 year included
o Engine new with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.
o May not help book value, but obviously worth a lot more to me than the $11,500 purchase price.
o timing chain and water pump new. That would have been costly to replace, given hard to access.
o cam phasers also new obviously.
o Prior engine had that ticking sound, now gone

NEGATIVES
o Question was raised about cat converters since it was running rich.
o Need to go after (used car) dealer to get some/most of this back. Not getting into details, but have a lot of stuff to bring to bear.

If you take the dealer to court, win and are able to collect the judgement then I would say it all worked out. That's a lot of "ifs" though. Personally, I would have left that dealership with a full refund in hand or a pocketful of the owner's teeth.

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! Am I reading this wrong, or did you have to pay $6,600 out of your pocket, and they paid $0. Gee how generous of them to give a $500.00 reduction, on something that they never paid up on that they should of. If that's what I'm reading, I'll reiterate Wow!

$500 had nothing to do with the warranty company that rejected the claim. Was the warranty I originally bought to go with the vehicle. The $6,600 out of pocket has not been pursued yet. As said, just getting new timing chain and water pump in already reduced the cost significantly.

pocketful of teeth? A few years in prison is likely more expensive than what I will wind up with.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck in court!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pocketful of teeth? A few years in prison is likely more expensive than what I will wind up with.

Hey I didn't say it would have been a wise move, but getting ripped off for $11K in a single day and, subsequently, being refused a full refund would have likely resulted in a loss of impulse control. In any case, enjoy your $18K lemon. :)

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what happens with the dealership. How many miles does the warranty company cover? Fiver years is good, but what's the actually mileage limit?

Daveyj

Reaction score
Sorry, but a new jasper engine will not increase the value of your vehicle. A new Ford engine will not increase the value of your vehicle. Last time I checked Kbb or NADA didn't ask me how many miles were on my engine. They ask about miles on vehicle. Your engine replacement is considered a repair only.

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what happens with the dealership. How many miles does the warranty company cover? Fiver years is good, but what's the actually mileage limit?

13,000 miles per year, which is my personal average. The company is Endurance, which had about as good a reputation as I could find

Status
Not open for further replies.