Screeching noise when engaging starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Hook

Reaction score
My wife's 2005 Expedition is starting to make a screeching noise when the starter engages. Right now, it only does it once, then she tries it again and it starts fine. Happens about once a week.

I have a feeling the flywheel teeth are worn where the starter engages the teeth but not certain.

Anyone else encounter this problem? If so, can you tell me what the problem turned out to be for sure? Truck has 140,000+ miles.

Thanks...

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be the starter solenoid not engaging the teeth on the gears. may turn into hitting it with a hammer trick. You could pull the starter and have a buddy ( a strong buddy) manually turn the engine while you inspect the flywheel teeth. Just a place to start.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep.... sounds like it not engaging the starter teeth. Starter solenoid is a good bet. This can damage the flexplate teeth if not fixed.

I would do as you mentioned and pull starter and check its operation. Then check flexplate teeth if you can. Hopefully you caught it in time.

Last edited:

crabmaster

Reaction score
Having intermittent screeching at start

Long story long. I bought an 03 EB 4.6L with 119k miles. It was in decent shape for the age and I figured I could fix any issues. I hope I am not wrong.

So a few days in the starter made a horrid noise and was like a loud screeching grind. I climbed under and the starter was loose, as in I could wobble it by hand. I ended up removing it to examining it and found there were only 2 bolts, the third top bolt was missing. I ordered the special bolt from Ford and the other 2 "normal" bolts. I figured why not get all new bolts. I then bought a starter on Amazon for pretty cheap, it had good ratings. I plug it in get everything going and great! Until....

About every 25th start it would make this screeching and not start. No clicking, power everywhere. No dim lights or anything. I ended up crawling under and banging on it and it started up another 20 times in a row then the screeching happened again and it didn't start until I took the key out and tried again. I replaced the battery and wire brushed the contacts and it seemed to help. Now its doing it again and its driving me crazy. When it starts, it starts strong and no issues. When replacing the battery I changed the order of the power cables on the battery terminal and it seems to affect the frequency of the screeching. It varies from 1 out of 5 starts to 1 out of 40 starts. But as soon as I think I have it knocked out, it comes back to bite me.

I really do not think its the starter, I think its some electrical gremlins. When the issue happens, if I let the system "boot up" as in the radio come on and all that it will start usually the second time. Sometimes it takes 3 tries. (without having to go under and tap on anything) My next plan is to systematically try and check all the grounds and see if I can find anything. One other note, I could not arc across and get a spark on the starter. Does that mean maybe the starter relay isnt working? Where is the starter relay on the 2003 4.6L?

Rambling on. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I can swap a starter but that would be my last option.

Thanks

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
I have gone through 5 starters and a new flexplate, and I still have this issue on my 2006 Expedition. Good luck fixing your issue.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The screeching sound you are hearing is the drive gear grinding on the ring gear of the flex plate instead of meshing together when the starter is engaged.

It is not electrical, the battery, cables or magic. It is mechanical interference.

Pull the starter and inspect the drive gear (drive pinion or benxix) and also the teeth on the ring gear for signs of abnormal wear, broken or missing teeth.

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
Now mine has changed to a click like a bad starter solenoid when I turn the key, sometimes it cranks after only one click, sometimes I have to try it multiple times.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus