SCT tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just ordered from 5 star. I passed on the Black Friday pricing last year and they didn’t have the SCT tuner then, just the HP Tuner. I’ll give it a try and see what happens I guess.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for delay...

My code is JL1A-14C204-XD
Please let me know if 5 star is able to hand you tunes without issue. Clearly your PCM is running a newer version then my 2018 is.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please let me know if 5 star is able to hand you tunes without issue. Clearly your PCM is running a newer version then my 2018 is.

Will do, they told me 3 to 6 days so maybe by Tuesday or Wednesday I will have it.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need a custom tune. The included tunes with any tuner seem like they are junk. 5 Star seems to be quite popular.

you assume too much.
the problems aren't in the actual performance improvement. it's not what i was hoping for, but it is real... it's just not worth 650 bucks.

the problems are that the interface was coded by chipmunks, the available "gauges" are mostly useless, and it is nearly impossible to make changes from one of the included tunes to another because of the OS's wildly inconsistent behavior, and there is no documentation of what does what. I assume the chipmunk programmers have documentation for what they coded, but they don't let us see it so people like me could understand the usefulness of "%fuel flow reload" or WTF they chose. The intake air temperature is interesting, but I'm not sure how useful that is to me in my daily driving. Now, if it would show engine vacuum, or electrical system amps, that would be useful.

PS if you have an email for a tuner - a person who codes custom tunes - I'd appreciate having it myself. I have been unable to get a response from anyone who writes custom tunes. I keep finding names or sites on forums, etc., but when I reach out, no one ever responds.
I'm hoping for an email that a tuner/programmer has actually responded to in recent history, not just one copied from a brochure or a web site. I have plenty of those that are of no use.

thanks for your time.
jg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought the SCT X4 for my 2017 EL. Set it for 91 octane and it works great. Definitely more power and MPG has remained good as well. Would have set for 93 octane but it's just not readily available in our area.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't think $650 is worth the return in performance, then you are using the wrong company/person for your tuning.

On a modern Fords the HPTuner based solutions have proven to be superior. The RTD requires a laptop, but the logging it is capable of is FAR better than ANYTHING SCT can do.

You need a good tuner, that knows this Motor and Trans, contact Adam@ZFG, use the below linked form.

https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/contact-us

He tunes my Explorer ST, and the Expedition. They are the 4th and 5th vehicle of mine he has tuned.

Also, the 18/19's have the same PCM/BCM module configurations, but can have different strategies depending on build date, model, and options. The 2020's ARE NOT the same. The have different modules and PCM. Strategies are completely different. This is why FORSCAN programming for them is different.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Well I got the tune but it wont flash... I think the x4 I got is fubard...

Keep you posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't think $650 is worth the return in performance, then you are using the wrong company/person for your tuning.

On a modern Fords the HPTuner based solutions have proven to be superior. The RTD requires a laptop, but the logging it is capable of is FAR better than ANYTHING SCT can do.

You need a good tuner, that knows this Motor and Trans, contact Adam@ZFG, use the below linked form.

https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/contact-us

He tunes my Explorer ST, and the Expedition. They are the 4th and 5th vehicle of mine he has tuned.

Also, the 18/19's have the same PCM/BCM module configurations, but can have different strategies depending on build date, model, and options. The 2020's ARE NOT the same. The have different modules and PCM. Strategies are completely different. This is why FORSCAN programming for them is different.
@LokiWolf any actual details on why the HPTuner would be better than the SCT. Such as what data points it would capture that the SCT wouldn't in a datalog?

I see a bunch of various tuner companies offering their custom tunes on both. Seems strange they would do such if their tunes are going to be less effective on one device vs the other.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire