seldom used expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi! I just want to ask: I use my expy only once a month as a special occasion car. Whenever I use it I connect the battery negative terminal and afterwards when I get home I disconnect it again for fear that the battery might drain or worse if it would get a short circuit somewhere and catch aflame especially when I am at work. I use a car cover and it's parked in front of my house along the street. My question is am I doing the right thing? And what kind of maintenance do I have to perform so my expy would run well everytime and not lose much of it's value? Thank you very much.

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need to disconnect the battery. Have you had the recall work done involving an added fuse just under the brake fluid reservoir? That's the only fire issue. As for maintenance, just follow the owners manual.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would be concerned that the pcm will never "adapt" to get the air/fuel ratio correct among other things. It will be stuck at factory default settings.

You could try an automotive battery low voltage disconnect if your concerned with the battery. Never used one myself so cannot comment on how well they may or may not work.

Amazon.com: Priority Start 12-Volt-Pro-SP PriorityStart Automatic Battery Protector: Automotive

I would make sure you drive it at least once a month or so to circulate the fluids and drive it long enough for it to thoroughly warm up and evaporate any moisture from the engine, etc.. This will also alter which valve springs are compressed while it sits. You may consider sta-bil as well depending on how long it takes to go though a tank of fuel. Not sure if you have E10 where your located but it is not very "storage" friendly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much. For the recall issue I have no idea as of the moment since I just bought my expy last 2011, Jan. I will try to look for the said fuse under the brake fluid reservoir.

Yes, I do warm it up and run it every month only about 30 mins. or for about 20 kilometers. I have not yet changed the oil and the trans fluid since I had my truck.

Another question is: does gasoline run stale if it's in the tank for quite some time? I fill up with unleaded fuel only I don't think it's E10.

Thanks again.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much. For the recall issue I have no idea as of the moment since I just bought my expy last 2011, Jan. I will try to look for the said fuse under the brake fluid reservoir.

Yes, I do warm it up and run it every month only about 30 mins. or for about 20 kilometers. I have not yet changed the oil and the trans fluid since I had my truck.

Another question is: does gasoline run stale if it's in the tank for quite some time? I fill up with unleaded fuel only I don't think it's E10.

Thanks again.

Gasoline is good for about a month or so, after that it begins to degrade. Stabil or seafoam will help counteract that. It would be a good idea to change the oil. I change mine every 5000 or 6 months, whichever comes first. If you do not drive it much, do not put a full tank of fuel in it.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also make sure to run it up to highway speeds when you do drive it so as to avoid getting flat spots in the tires.

OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your suggestions and tips. Will follow them and again, thanks.

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive mine about once a month or so, have been doing like this for years due to my Expy is mainly used to tow atv/utvs and go on vacation, I crank it every few weeks and drive it to town a few times a year and its fine.