Set screw on caliper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiranger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing my brakes myself for the first time and will be taking the rotors(about 18mo old) to get resurfaced. I noticed what looked like a set screw on the rotor but nothing in my Haynes manual refers to taking this out. Is it really a set screw or will I not have an issue? The manual states that the 4x4 models calipers should just pop off once I remove the caliper mount. Also, I'm seeing conflicting info stating the front caliper Allen wrench is a 9mm and the back is a 7mm, can someone with the same truck confirm? Also, what size are the large bolts that hold the caliper mount on? As if I hadn't already asked enough in one single post, can someone confirm the torque rating of the above referenced bolts, and if they require locktite?

I'm a bit apprehensive of the job but I've bought my first house recently and I need to save a bit of money and start doing my own maintenance work.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your rotors are only 18 months old, and unless you completely put a zillion miles on them in that amount of time, if you mic them, i'd think they would still be in pretty decent shape. you should be able to just rough up w/ sandpaper.

Are they warped?

OP
OP
O

okiranger

Reaction score
18 months may have been a bit low but I do feel them pulsate especially at lower speeds. I know brakes are usually done every two years approximately so I'm nearly there. I got a coupon for 10$ resurfacing at pepboys So its kind of a no brainer. Living in south Florida, we get a ton of standing water so I'm sure I went through a "puddle" when the brakes were nice and hot.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did the brakes on mine last weekend. Front is 9mm hex and rear is 8mm hex (IIRC). Had fun driving around town looking for a 9mm allen wrench or hex socket.

gears351

Reaction score
The caliper bracket bolts should be 18mm, they're torqued pretty tight - a long breaker bar and a good hard hit with the palm of your hand should break them loose.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The caliper bracket bolts should be 18mm, they're torqued pretty tight - a long breaker bar and a good hard hit with the palm of your hand should break them loose.

Size sounds about right. I did have to use the breaker bar on them, so be prepared.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX