Shocks worn out??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michigan newbie

Reaction score
Just bought a 98 Eddie Bauer with 142,00 miles, 5.4 and 3.73 axle. We are getting a shudder throughout when we hit rough pavement. I drive a Didge pick up at work, so I'm pretty sure that it's not just me not being used to how a truck feels.

I looked at the shocks, and the right rear passenger side shock is/was wet (leaking) at one point. All look to be the same age- old, rusty. How can I tell if they need to be replaced? Any suggestions for replacement parts? Are planning on towing a 4,500# RV with it in a few months.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
Since you already have 1 shock leaking and all 4 rusting, thats more than enough evidence to justify replacing all 4 shocks.

Coincidently, I just replaced all 4 of mine with Bilsteins.
The previous shocks were all rusty and the drivers side was leaking.

It's worth the investment.
Just do it :)

exceldetail

Reaction score
Billys are AWESOME on my Dodge P/U.......They're just a little pricey.
I need to replace mine on the 00 Expy as well. 145k on her now, replace the OEM's with KYB's aout 5k ago, which were either the wrong part number, or are just junk altogether.
Will this help minimize roll feel as well?
What about coils? Do they ever go bad? I have air levelers in the rear btw.....

Last edited:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree, bilsteins are a good choice. well worth the money. i have ranchos on mine but that is cuz i run a rancho kit. figured might as well keep it all together. where in michigan you from?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just replace the shocks. i have monroe shocks. not the greatest. great at first then got a little dirty and now they squeak in the rear. i wish i got bilsteins. a little more pricey but would have been well worth it. i like my shocks i can take corners fast and they handle great but squeak to damn much in the rear if i have weight or if im bouncing a little. and about the springs thats a good question. might get spacers not sure yet. do they ever go bad? im thinking about running coil overs. anyone see that in an expo b4? i like that idea but a lot of work. just me getting some 2.0 or 2.5 8" stroke shocks. what do people think of that idea?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i say go for it panda. make it happen. excel, come on down! we can have a little cali get together down here at the beach or something. a couple of my guys in my virtualford.org forum are from up that way i believe.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i say go for it panda. make it happen. excel, come on down! we can have a little cali get together down here at the beach or something. a couple of my guys in my virtualford.org forum are from up that way i believe.

we should have a jet ski bonfire at fiesta. i might be able to borrow my uncles 3 seater jet ski if hes nice enough. maybe. o and nice ride of the month. i saw that on the other forum ur on.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o and i think i might when i start to go to school for welding, make my own brackets and what not. shes going to be my project vehicle now i need a new truck for a tow truck. maybe a svt raptor.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Billys are AWESOME on my Dodge P/U.......They're just a little pricey.
I need to replace mine on the 00 Expy as well. 145k on her now, replace the OEM's with KYB's aout 5k ago, which were either the wrong part number, or are just junk altogether.
Will this help minimize roll feel as well?
What about coils? Do they ever go bad? I have air levelers in the rear btw.....

Excel... I have the bilstein shocks and while they do help with roll, if you really want to reduce body roll then upgrade your sway bars (front and rear). After I upgraded my sway bars the expedition handled a lot better and has a much more solid feeling while driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69