Shot Sparkplug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kimber Batzer

Reaction score
Hi I apologies if this forum is in the wrong spot, I'm new to the site

I was given a 1999 Expo xlt from my dad because it didn't run and I wouldn't let him get rid of it because of sentimental value. He had gotten it in vegas with very low miles and in great condition, he got it cheap though because it had a misfire. It shot a sparkplug about a year after and we had tapped and set an insert onto the head and that had fixed all the problems it had including the misfire.

A couple years later and it shot another sparkplug (we were actually moving to colorado and it was pulling a large uhaul trailer) we had parked it for a month and then decided to tap that cylinder like the last one, but that didn't go well and it immediately shot the sparkplug again taking a chunk of the head with.

I'm here today because the expo is now mine and I want to get it running, but there is a few road blocks, the head needs replaced, and the keys are gone, like they never existed.

How do I go about this? I need to be able to start the expo to program the keys but I need to have the head fixed, yet I cannot start it to make sure the head is on properly and timing is correct plus so much more without keys. What should I do?

I haven't even began to buy parts because I don't know where to start or even how to replace the head, I do have a couple friends who are mechanics who can assist me though.

Yes I know it would be cheaper to buy a new expo but the reason I even kept this one is because we have been everywhere in it and have owned it for years, it just has sentimental value that cannot be replaced.

sorry for the long explanation and I hope this is in the right spot, any help/input would be very much appreciated

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Without the keys you can't program additional keys unless you have a programmer that will delete the pats. Your easiest option then is a trip to the dealer. Your call on when to swap the heads, I would do them first.

OP
OP
K

Kimber Batzer

Reaction score
The local locksmith is able to do it for a 60$ fee plus whatever they charge per hour. Do I need to get 2 keys cut or can I get away with one then add more down the road?

What would be the best method of obtaining a new head, should I trust a junkyard head or would some online source like ebay be best? it would cost 300$+ for a head from one of the auto parts stores around here which is a little steep. My biggest concern when I get a head + head gaskets is getting the timing correct, how do I go about that?

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks a bunch for the help

(Edit) a quick search on ebay shows passenger cylinder heads for 99 expos going for around 120-150$ now I can find head gasket sets but they cost almost as much as the head, is there a way to get just the needed gasket without the rest?

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a thought get complete steering column with the key out of a junkyard.Theirs plenty of them to be found in junkyard and just be prepared to spend "about" a grand more or less for the head repair/head an labor and all other parts/cleaning supplies.not to metion how ever long it takes to get the thing done

OP
OP
K

Kimber Batzer

Reaction score
I've thought about that would the pats system work with the computer? I would have to get door keys but a 10 dollar key being cut for door locks is a lot cheaper than 2 60 dollar keys being cut and programmed to the vehicle.

A head, head gasket set, and mass airflow sensor (mine got jacked for my grandmothers 01 expo) would cost around 300-310$ not counting plugs, wires and coils, or labor.

I do have access to a 2002 ford f150 with a 4.6l, The engine is blown and I'm not sure why, but it would be a great source for the plugs, wires, sensors etc, The heads may be warped and while they would bolt up to the 5.4l, a lot would have to be changed for them to work and there would be a lot more work/labor hours involved.

I wounder if the pats out of the f150 would work?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Locksmiths can usually program new keys if the other 2 are present during the programming process. One work around is to clone a key instead of adding it to the list in the pcm. Since you are missing both keys I would like to know how they are programming their keys into the list stored by the pcm.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The suggestion above to get a complete steering column from a junkyard is bad advice and would be a unnecessary expense.

Instead pull the lock cylinder from the column and from the door and rear hatch as long as it has two keys Then get a locksmith to come to your house or have the expy towed to his shop and he can then program the new keys to the pats system and at the same time he would delete any previous keys that were already in the pats system However this also is a costly procedure. Or you could go on line and find a complete set of locks and keys but again its going to be costly

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to do what's right and what's practical. Fond memories are in your head, the truck's just a reminder. You have to let go and choose another ride -one that wont empty your pocket.

OP
OP
K

Kimber Batzer

Reaction score
Ok after lots of thought and pure luck, my dad ended up having a friend with an 01 Eddie Bauer expo that is the exact same color but has leather interior, a moon roof (I did not know they came with these) and a few other small features that were not on mine, The catch being it has a rod knock. He was going to get rid of it for more (brand new tires) but saying as we are friends he is willing to sell it to us for five hundred. Should I get it? Is it worth the risk?

I know it has the 5.4l and is a first gen so everything should be the same under the hood. If so then that leaves a few options, like move everything over from the Eddie Bauer to the xlt, OR replace the crankshaft and every bearing connected to said crankshaft with the one out of my expo. Is that possible though? Practical? The big one here is that the Eddie Bauer has keys which would make EVERYTHING so much easier.

Thanks for all the input! It really does help