Should I Buy a 2024 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to replace my 2003 Expedition with a new one. I've been looking around town at the 2024's on different Ford Dealer lots and I like what I see. But when I check here on the Forum. still read about all the 10-speed Transmission issues these have. Has this issue been resolved? Or, does this issue only affect certain optioned models? Is there a way to know (by test driving) if your car has issues?

I'm stuck and can't move forward. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2023 limited SPP after putting 150k miles on a 2017 Expy. The major issues we have all read about (and dealt with for some) are largely cleaned up in the 2022 referb. Since I have only 2k miles on the new vehicle, I can't speak of long-term issues but so far, I have NO buyers' remorse! After 7 years after the tranny, cam phasers, thermostat and other redesign efforts, I believe the issues are resolved, but time will tell.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to replace my 2003 Expedition with a new one. I've been looking around town at the 2024's on different Ford Dealer lots and I like what I see. But when I check here on the Forum. still read about all the 10-speed Transmission issues these have. Has this issue been resolved? Or, does this issue only affect certain optioned models? Is there a way to know (by test driving) if your car has issues?

I'm stuck and can't move forward. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
It's still too early to tell. I had several minor problems and concerns, but none of them was serious enough for me to bring the vehicle into dealership. The only problem of my 10R80 transmission is 4 to 3 downshift delay intermittently. I just live with it and sometimes I brake harder to mitigate it. At least two major upgrades, cam phaser and CDF drum, apply to 2024 model year.

Last edited:

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you in a big hurry? If not, then you might wait until the 2025s start hitting the dealer's lots. If you like them better, then you can order exactly what you want...if not, then the 2024s might be easier to deal on just to clear them off the lots; and you might find one exactly to your liking. Granted, many dealers have a limited supply of Expeditions at any given time, but you could find one with more than a couple in stock and willing to deal.

Someone else may have better information on the status of the 10-speed transmission, if Ford improved the internals, and when they did.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I found a 2024 in the color and with the options I wanted. The transmission shifted smoothly during the test drive. So, I decided to get off the fence and buy it. Hoping this new one gives me 21+ years of good service like the last one!