Should I change my transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylelwsn

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 2010 Expedition with 80K miles on it. Transmission shifts fine but should I go ahead and get the fluid and filter replaced, since it's been 10 years?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like any fluid in a vehicle, it’s a lifetime fluid. Who’s lifetime? It’ll last all the way up until that component fails- and the fluid may or may not be the culprit.

I’d change it.

Bought a 2014 a little over a year ago with 90k miles. I changed it over the summer.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Did on my 11 with motorcraft fluid and filter in garage at 90k.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The problem comes with "who changes it". If you do it yourself and know it's done right, it's an excellent idea. If you take it to Jiffy-Lube and the crackhead fills it with Universal Red Dot fluid and overfills it a quart, you'll be cutting its life short.

Maybe it's where I live, but I've never seen a shop do the job correctly.

I change mine every 60-70K miles.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not a hard process, but it’s sort of a PITA. No dipstick means you have to pump the fluid into the transmission pan. There are kits to add a dipstick.

OP
OP
Kylelwsn

Kylelwsn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Called a shop today and they wanted 635$ for the job, seems high. Going to shop around.