Should I get extended warranty on my new-to-me 2017 Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the $3500 and stick it in the bank if you have an unexpected problem. My 2014 has yet to have any issue that would constitute a warranty repair. My previous 2009, same story. Keep in mind that this website attracts the people who are having a problem with their Expedition. The site doesn't attract the many thousands of others who don't have any issues to come here to say "Hi, I have an Expedition and all has been well". Warranty companies make lots of money for a reason.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the $3500 and stick it in the bank if you have an unexpected problem. My 2014 has yet to have any issue that would constitute a warranty repair. My previous 2009, same story. Keep in mind that this website attracts the people who are having a problem with their Expedition. The site doesn't attract the many thousands of others who don't have any issues to come here to say "Hi, I have an Expedition and all has been well". Warranty companies make lots of money for a reason.

Bull. The vast majority of regulars here have been driving Fords for decades. Most here didn't sign up just to complain and you would know those who did by their low post counts. You would know all of this if you posted more than 3 times per month for the last 6 years. You would also know that a Ford warranty from Lombard isn't going to cost anywhere near $3,500. I don't know what you think $3,500 is going to cover anyway. With a fully loaded vehicle like the OP has, the odds of something tech related failing in the first 100K are very high. Within the first year, I had over $16K worth of repairs done under the Ford extended warranty (which cost me $799 btw and got me a full set of brand new Pirelli Scorpions mounted and balanced on day 1).

proftomda

Reaction score
Although I do not own a current generation expedition, I do think that a extended warranty might be a good idea. These new expos are extremely complex machines and honestly, as a technician, not as durable as older models. That saying goes for most newer cars these days, not just the expo.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bull. The vast majority of regulars here have been driving Fords for decades. Most here didn't sign up just to complain and you would know those who did by their low post counts. You would know all of this if you posted more than 3 times per month for the last 6 years. You would also know that a Ford warranty from Lombard isn't going to cost anywhere near $3,500. I don't know what you think $3,500 is going to cover anyway. With a fully loaded vehicle like the OP has, the odds of something tech related failing in the first 100K are very high. Within the first year, I had over $16K worth of repairs done under the Ford extended warranty (which cost me $799 btw and got me a full set of brand new Pirelli Scorpions mounted and balanced on day 1).
Yes, posting more than 3 times per month would increase my knowledge. ???. He asked for an OPINION and I gave mine. WTF would you even still want to drive a brand of vehicle that required $16K of repairs in a year? Back to not posting, thanks for your insight.

billyrides

Reaction score
I struggled with this when I purchased my '17 XLT. I decided not to due to the lower trim level and fewer things to potentially go wrong. Fortunately, 109k later, I've done ok. Like a lot of people are saying though, especially with the upper trim level, there are a lot of things that could go wrong that would quickly eat up that $3500. Might not be a terrible idea.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you want a warranty, check Lombard Ford, as ManUp suggested. They sell Ford Manufacturer's warranties on line at very good prices, and you can check the agreements and see what is covered in each plan. None will cost you $3500.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm of the belief that on these newer models the warranty is well worth looking into. Ford didn't have a clue as to what was going on with mine. The dealer kept on replacing parts until Ford figured out it was a coding issue. That took over 3 months I wouldn't have wanted to pay for all the parts and labor that went into it.

On another subject, the number of post's don't mean diddly imo. Some type and respond to anything and don't really say much.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My warranty paid for itself with one repair. Peace of mind definitely has a price. These vehicles are complex and have a lot of things that can go wrong. Now that my warranty is almost up, I'm probably going to get another lower mileage one with another warranty.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would. I certainly got my value out of the factory extended warranty when I bought my 15 new... Now that I'm in a second warranty, I haven't gotten any benefit from it (they don't cover hoses, like the $800 transmission hoses I just had to replace) but still.