Shrieking when AC clutch engages - not belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geodude

Reaction score
I guess I should say, I really don't think it is the belt. The noise is more like a a rotozip than a shrieking belt.

Anyway, no noise until the clutch engages and then the noise. I also had light smoke at one point. Any ideas?

I'm trying to decide if it is the compressor or clutch. I'm leaning toward the compressor right now.

One more piece of info, it hasn't done this before and now all of the sudden it is.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the compressor is seizing. Smoke may have come from the belt sliding over a non moving clutch. I wouldn't run the system anymore. If your lucky it hasn't trashed the system too badly making the system clean up easy.

OP
OP
G

geodude

Reaction score
Thanks. I was going to take the truck in to get a transflush anyway. Guess I'll have them replace the compressor too.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good shop will diagnose the problem before replacing parts. A belt will also squeal if it is loose so that is something to check before replacing the compressor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlself