Shutter shifting into overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is this "shuttering" feel like you ran over some "rumble strips"? if so, I've experience that as well. if not, then what exactly is shuttering?

Exactly
Torque Convertor shudder. This is the first sign of the trans fluid losing its "properties". Time to change all the transmission fluid now with an exchange machine. The Ford mechanics in the know will even add a bottle of the "friction modifier" (intended for the traction-lock rears) to the trans.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is this "shuttering" feel like you ran over some "rumble strips"? if so, I've experience that as well. if not, then what exactly is shuttering?

Exactly
Torque Convertor shudder. This is the first sign of the trans fluid losing its "properties". Time to change all the transmission fluid now with an exchange machine. The Ford mechanics in the know will even add a bottle of the "friction modifier" (intended for the traction-lock rears) to the trans.

gotcha! at 1st i got it was exactly that, that i had driven over rumble strips in the road, but when driving over that say exit ramp i noticed that it didn't go again, however i noticed it happening from time to mine while i was driving so i figured it has to be something else. thanks HWY73! :happy160:

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats it!
Shuddering inside the torque converter.

It is converter lock up, not overdrive. It feels like an extra gear but it is not.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i guess i will be heading out 2 Advance Auto later on today & may have to eventually invest in 1 of those Edge programmers. thanks 01Expy

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No thanks needed!
But, you are welcome.

I hope that it works for you like it worked for me...

Good Luck!

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After you do a complete exchange, you can invest in either a drain plug for the trans pan or even the so-called "U-Haul" pan Ford sells which is the same as what came on the truck except it has a drain plug. This enables a "partial" change of trans fluid - when changing the engine oil for example - to keep the fluid fresh. Pull plug, drain (no mess dropping the pan), refill ~ 4 qts. MERCON V ONLY.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had the problem with my expy but had a ford econoline van that did the same thing..they make an additive that you can pour in and after driving for a while it will quit..they call it torque converter shutter...trans shops will have this and so will NAPA..its a friction modifier red liquid.

are they any other places besides NAPA where you can find this torque converter shutter? i went to Advance Auto the other day & couldn't think of the name of what exactly what i needed. i tried accessing the site while i was there but it was down. is this the same thing as Dr. Tranny Instant Shutter Fix?

Last edited:

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are they any other places besides NAPA where you can find this torque converter shutter? i went to Advance Auto the other day & couldn't think of the name of what exactly what i needed. i tried accessing the site while i was there but it was down. is this the same thing as Dr. Tranny Instant Shutter Fix?

Torque Convertor Shudder is the symptom you are experiencing. The additive you are looking for is called Friction Modifier by Ford. I am not familiar with any other aftermarket brand names. Its intended use is in the Traction-Lock rears to keep the clutches from chattering during turns. It has been found to help with the shudder in the trans torque convertor when it shifts to overdrive. Seems to replenish the additive that dissipates as the fluid ages.