Shutter shifting into overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Following up on this one again.. Initially had the rumble into OD when I bought the truck with 127k on it. Full fluid (torque converter and pan) change eliminated the issue for 2500 miles or so. When it came back I tried the lubegard product from O'Rileys mentioned earlier and problem was solved.

Now about 2500 miles later (5k total miles since full fluid change) I'm getting the shuddering again. I'm guessing I'm going to need to look for a torque converter, but I may still give a shot to the programmer. This mostly seems to be an issue when I'm accelerating very mildly only so far..

tshannon76

Reaction score
I had this on my 02 and it only had 35k miles on it when I bought it. I took it to the dealer and had the tranny serviced, fresh fluid and additive added. It was $235, but that also included engine oil and filter so I am not sure of the cost of the tranny only. Mine is smooth as silk now.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also go to the local Ford Dealer and buy a small bottle of there Friction Modifier that you use in the locking rear ends,and use it in the transmisson. It does the same thing,keeps the clutches from chattering,just like the Converter will do

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also go to the local Ford Dealer and buy a small bottle of there Friction Modifier that you use in the locking rear ends,and use it in the transmisson. It does the same thing,keeps the clutches from chattering,just like the Converter will do

I used the lube guard friction modifier mentioned earlier in this thread and as I said it did cure the issues for about 2500 miles or so.

It just recently started shuttering into OD again and is already doing it with more frequency.

JimThornTX

Reaction score
I see I'm not the only one with this problem. My Expy has 110k miles. Bought it used one one month ago so no idea if/when the tranny fluid has been changed. Will have to get the fluid changed ASAP. Can't afford a new tranny.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see I'm not the only one with this problem. My Expy has 110k miles. Bought it used one one month ago so no idea if/when the tranny fluid has been changed. Will have to get the fluid changed ASAP. Can't afford a new tranny.

When i first got mine with 127k it was doing it. I did the full fluid change (including torque converter) and problem was solved for about 2500 miles. Once it started up again I tried the friction modifier and again got about 2500 miles before it started to shutter.