Simple but good exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a new exhaust set up for my 01 5.4L. I don't want anything too loud as that is not my style, looking to be able to get some better MPG's, power, and noise from it though. Found this on JC Whitney and didn't know if anyone who knew something about exhaust could help me out.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Cat-Back-S...6423_N_111+2001+200728651+600015738_10101.jcw

I'm looking for something that will go in the same spot as the stock system, just give me some more oompf. I don't want to have exhaust tips that are sticking out the back, again just not my style and I don't need anything that rumbles really loud. If anyone has any suggestions that would be appreciated. Also can better performance be achieved by just changing mufler, or do I need a system with the cat's as well? Thanks for the help.

mjdh_80

Reaction score
That system looks pretty good. I have not had any experience with gibson though. Also I'm not sure how loud that would be. You might notice minimal performance gains with that style. To get something really noticable you would have to start at the engine and replace everything. However just a cat back system should get you an extra mpg or two.
My advice is to get high flow cats as well as that system. I think you would be more than happy with that.
Also you can turn in your old cats to a scrap yard and get some cash to fund your update. LOL

SIK_MATRiX

Reaction score
I just posted this in a new thread But I am putting new headers on right now. and I am going to run duals. but just for this weekend I am going just leave the Y-Pipe the way it is and put a Cherry Bomb Glasspack I got for 20$ at autozone on it and take out the rest of the system. Ill post every thing when Im finished in my thread.

OP
OP
M

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, I def. want to keep it relatively quiet just looking to maximize a gallon at this point. Also thinking about getting CAI to go along with whatever exhaust setup I end up going for.

mgtsldr38

Reaction score
I bought that Gibson setup and it was quiet, had a little more snarl but nothing special so i swapped it out for a flowmaster. More of my style! I did gain about 1 mpg on a trip to vermont, but that was with the CAI also installed.

OP
OP
M

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by mgtsldr38
I bought that Gibson setup and it was quiet, had a little more snarl but nothing special so i swapped it out for a flowmaster. More of my style! I did gain about 1 mpg on a trip to vermont, but that was with the CAI also installed.

How much did your system cost you if you don't mind me asking? Also any improvements that you noticed with the new system? How much louder is it? Is the picture below your post your new system or old and did you have it set up in the stock location or did you switch it to dual pipes? Thanks for your response good to hear from someone with the same year and everything.

mgtsldr38

Reaction score
Originally posted by MaverikDS
How much did your system cost you if you don't mind me asking? Also any improvements that you noticed with the new system? How much louder is it? Is the picture below your post your new system or old and did you have it set up in the stock location or did you switch it to dual pipes? Thanks for your response good to hear from someone with the same year and everything.

It ran me about 400, maybe 450 from my local autoparts store. You can probably find it cheaper online somewhere. I bought the system that went right back to the stock location. The hardest part of puttin in the exhaust was gettin the old one out. Gettin all the hangers out of the rubber gromets totally sucked, haha. The only improvement I saw was the 1-2 mpg. It really isnt much louder than stock, thats why I switched it out. And my sig pic is of the single out catback.