Skid plate information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

invader33

Reaction score
I had my 97 Expedition in a garage for replacement of the Transfer case and after gettiong it home I found the front skid plate was missing. They say they don't have it, that's a separate issue. I called a dealer and they say they don't have a picture of it and don't know if any mounting hardware is necessary for mounting. I need to know if it just requires bolts or additional brackets of any kind, how many and what size. Can any one help me here? Thanks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 and all it uses for mounting the transfer case skid plate are four bolts and the Tinnerman clips that the bolts thread into. There's no hardware.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who the f--- jacks a skidplate off an over-20yo truck???

Alternatively, how do you LOSE something that big???

In any case, shop is clearly staffed by ******* junkies, don't ever go there again

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Not sure which skid plate was jacked. The front one, under the radiator, also mounts with bolts and no hardware. Not all the Expeditions were equipped with skid plates.

Adieu's right: "******* junkies".

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who the f--- jacks a skidplate off an over-20yo truck???

Alternatively, how do you LOSE something that big???

In any case, shop is clearly staffed by ******* junkies, don't ever go there again

Some time ago I had the water pump replaced on a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 5.9L by an independent shop.

I picked up the vehicle and drove it for a day or so, then opened the rear hatch to put something inside.

Laying inside the rear compartment (3rd seats were folded down) was a huge, plastic underbody shield from the front end. It was held on with numerous plastic nails that were also laying in the rear compartment. The piece was about 4 foot x 3 foot.

I put my vehicle on ramps and reinstalled the piece myself.

Mechanics that are paid by the flat-rate hour are ALWAYS trying to beat the clock and make more money. The often shortcut repairs and don’t finish the work properly (that they are paid to do).

My 2-cents.....

OP
OP
I

invader33

Reaction score
I had my 97 Expedition in a garage for replacement of the Transfer case and after gettiong it home I found the front skid plate was missing. They say they don't have it, that's a separate issue. I called a dealer and they say they don't have a picture of it and don't know if any mounting hardware is necessary for mounting. I need to know if it just requires bolts or additional brackets of any kind, how many and what size. Can any one help me here? Thanks.

The JasperTransfer case was covered under warranty. The shop did a complete inspection on the vehicle as was their policy*( not my request or with my permission). My take was they removed front skid plate to inspect the steering /suspension, set the plate aside and then ordered the replacement TX case. While waiting for it to be shipped in, they removed Exp from the lift and parked it outside without replacing the skid plate. Awaiting the TX case to be shipped here, the plate, sitting inside, got tossed in a scrap bin by someone. Now I am told it is no longer available from Ford. They are searching salvage yards. It appears it was held by 6 metal bolt clips and and bolts. I was told today all 97 Exp came with the front skid plate. If true or not this one did.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The front skid plate is under the radiator and engine and it's pretty big. Six bolts is right. There's also one under the transfer case. Should have no trouble finding one in a junk yard if they all had them in '97. Are you sure they didn't chuck it in the back? That's what mechanics should do when they pull stuff like that off.

That's a big part to lose.