Slight Rattle in front end...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score
I had a leaking shock on the drivers side front so today was a nice day and I changed them out, no biggie once the correct wrench was located. :nono: I had a slight "loose part rattle" I associated with the leaking shock, but after the new shocks were installed, you guessed it, the rattle is still there.:mad: It is ever so slight and you can only hear it when the radio is off or silent. I tried to look at all of the bushings and the like to no avail, I suspect its off to the front end shop for an inspection.
Any suggestions?? :(

PLMK:cool:

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless its handling differently, I think you would be dropping some cash to do stuff you could do yourself, or at least disqualify.

Did you check:
- brakes
- anti-sway bar (links are notorious for breaking)
- any number of hoses/tubes/wire runs etc.
- body cladding/fog lights
- stuff stuck in the treads of the tires

All I am saying is that before you give the shop Carte Blanc to check for some "noise", you should look around thouroughly (and to your credit, it seems you did look at some stuff). The shop hours can add up to some big bucks!!

OP
OP
T

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score
Originally posted by rwinch
- anti-sway bar (links are notorious for breaking)

So where exactly do the links break? I suspect this may be the case as this Expy came from the Urban jungle streets of Nawlins, the streets are TERRIBLE!! (read: roller coaster up and down-BUMPY) :barf:

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe they break at the bolted connections to either the lower control arm or on the anti-sway bar themselves. It has not happened to me, but they should be loose if they are broken. If they are near breaking, you can only tell if you remove them....which would give you a great excuse to put in a new set of links with urethane bushings!!!

OP
OP
T

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score
Still going...

I have checked everything I can think 3-4 times, even the front end shop does NOT hear it. I have tightened the running boards, checked sway bar link ends, springs, bumper, NADA, cant find it but its STILL there! :nono:
Any other thoughts?

G

I have the same problem and can not figure out what it is on my 2000 Eddie Bauer. When you do, let us know so I can check the same. Thanks.

G

Sorry, forgot to log in. My Expedition makes the same noise. I to can not figure it out. I have checked the same possibilities mentioned. If you find out what is causing yours, let me know so I can check the same. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score
SOLVED!!!!

SOLVED!!!

The Problem: the REAR SHOCKS on the lower mounts, those bolts wear from the movement and if you don't tighten the Shi'at out of the bolts, then they rattle, when I say tight, I am 6'1" and weight in just under 300 lbs and I was cranking on a 1/2" drive ratchet. Enough to move the entire truck, but guess what, NO more rattle!

BTW-I did find some other potential areas of concern:

Radiator fan shroud; held on with one 1 small bolt on each side and some sloppy clips at the bottom, a lot of movement and slack, major concern for a rattle prone area.

Fuel Tank plastic shield: major movement here too, another area of concern in regards to rattles.

Steering shaft from box: seems to be in two pieces and again, area for concern in regards to rattles.

Steering box plastic cover: this plastic cupped looking item is not very secure and it too could rattle.

Plenty of other minor places but these were my biggest finds today in the 4 hours I worked on this...Hope this helps someone else...

Thanks again guys!
:rockband:

G

Hey Guys....

I noticed on my 99 exp 2wd that the lower bushing on the rear shocks was terribly loose (i.e. worn out) and causing the same type of rattle you all were seeing. It looks to me almost like a design flaw in the lower shock bushing. I have looked at new shocks that are "supposed" to fit but the lower bushing on them looks nearly the same (soft neoprene, large hole, no steel insert) as my existing shocks with 67k miles. I used to sell auto parts (back in the day;) ) and we had access to a buyers guide to compare length/travel/bushing type and size of shocks. I am going to have a look around and see if I can figure out a replacement shock with some stronger bushings or maybe even some steel inserts in the bushings.....

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,

-Jay

OP
OP
T

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score

Jay,
I found these two things will help:
New BOLTS, as the old ones, from the movement, wear down in the bushing area, and tighten the crap out of them, that fixes the design flaw and yes I concur on the flaw too.